HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Squirrel dogs........... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/340339-squirrel-dogs.html)

TREELUKE 02-16-2011 05:06 PM

Squirrel dogs...........

Any squirrel doggers on here?

TREELUKE 02-22-2011 10:20 AM

Guess not. LOL!

scottycoyote 02-22-2011 01:47 PM

ive heard about em but never seen one in action, sure would be handy. Do they make just a general all purpose small game dog, maybe rabbit and squirrel and a bird or 2

mounting man 02-23-2011 12:38 AM

Always wanted to try this,but i had too many other dogs to do it.
I had coon hounds and rabbit dogs. Now ,i am too darn old and have no where to keep one.

ilyotehunter 02-23-2011 04:04 PM

Yeah I squirrel hunt with a Blackmouth cur. It works great during late season. A lot times the squirrel won't pay any attention to me just the dog.

NEK 02-25-2011 12:38 PM

Hey Luke,
I have never hunted squirrels with a dog - but sure do hope I get to before I die. Squirrel hunting has always been my favorite kind.
I have read a lot about it and talked to a few folks who had squirrel dogs - but somehow just never got a chance to do it.
The closest I ever came - was one time when I was working, cutting pulpwood in Northern Michigan, and one of the guys we worked with had a friend who came to visit and he had a little black and white feist dog of some sort and he took us out coon hunting one night - just outside town along the Ausable river. The dog was a silent trailer but would bark treed, and I can still hear that little guy running through the fallen oak leaves and yapping at the tree. There was always a coon in that tree - he never lied - and we got 9 coons that night. What a great little dog that was. The guy said he was just as good on squirrels in the daytime.

TREELUKE 02-26-2011 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by scottycoyote (Post 3777111)
ive heard about em but never seen one in action, sure would be handy. Do they make just a general all purpose small game dog, maybe rabbit and squirrel and a bird or 2

I've not heard of many that done well on rabbit or birds and squirrel. Many do well on squirrel and coon though.

TREELUKE 02-26-2011 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by NEK (Post 3778704)
Hey Luke,
I have never hunted squirrels with a dog - but sure do hope I get to before I die. Squirrel hunting has always been my favorite kind.
I have read a lot about it and talked to a few folks who had squirrel dogs - but somehow just never got a chance to do it.
The closest I ever came - was one time when I was working, cutting pulpwood in Northern Michigan, and one of the guys we worked with had a friend who came to visit and he had a little black and white feist dog of some sort and he took us out coon hunting one night - just outside town along the Ausable river. The dog was a silent trailer but would bark treed, and I can still hear that little guy running through the fallen oak leaves and yapping at the tree. There was always a coon in that tree - he never lied - and we got 9 coons that night. What a great little dog that was. The guy said he was just as good on squirrels in the daytime.

Sounds like a great little dog. I hunted Michigan 2 years but the last trip spent more time pulling quills than hunting. Porkies everywhere and our dogs werent broke off them since they'd never seen one before. I loved the country and it had alot of squirrel,blacks, greys and fox sq.

NEK 02-27-2011 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by TREELUKE (Post 3779200)
Sounds like a great little dog. I hunted Michigan 2 years but the last trip spent more time pulling quills than hunting. Porkies everywhere and our dogs werent broke off them since they'd never seen one before. I loved the country and it had alot of squirrel,blacks, greys and fox sq.

It's true - you never do forget a good dog.
Porkies are a curse to dogs all over the north. Some dogs learn after the first time with a porky, and others never stop attacking them as long as they live. I've spent many an hour pulling quills myself - always from friends dogs - never my own for some reason. My own dogs were skunkers - couldn't keep them off a skunk if they saw one. That's one reason I no longer have a dog. In the summer, there are always several skunks in the yard every night. It would be a nightmare having a dog in this place.

Matt1977 09-27-2011 06:57 PM

I have never hunted behind a dog either. I bought one and am working on training it. I hope it all goes well. She is just 4 months old. I have never trained anything before.