Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel dogs...........

Old 10-01-2011, 02:45 AM
Spike

I am a squirrel hunter. My favorite breed is West Siberian Laika. This dog does not nead teaching how to tree. Everything starts naturally. Just take you Laika puppy in woods and turn it loose. Most start at the age from 4 to 10 months. Once started, the dog learnes on the job. No trash breaking is needed. If the pup runs after deer, ignore it, the dog learns quickly that deer does not stop and will ignore it as you do. Squirrels by day, raccoons by night.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by scottycoyote
Do they make just a general all purpose small game dog, maybe rabbit and squirrel and a bird or 2

I know of a few oldtimers that have general small game dogs. Most commonly are squirrel dogs by day and coon dogs by night.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned

I hunt Mountain Feist dogs and love 'em!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my best bud hunted with our dogs all the time.By far my favorite way to hunt.Since moving away we rarely get to do it much anymore.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Spike

Default squirrel dog

i hunt squirrels with my papaws dog. he has a redbone coonhound, we go almost every weekend when the season is open. it is good fun. we always walk alot. we hunt public woods so somedays we dont even see anything. but we still have fun.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:16 AM
Spike

I hunt using mountain feists..They are great little dogs, I have 2 and an 8 week old pup that I just got. Some people also use mountain curr dogs thery are also used for coon hunting at night.
Squirrel dogs make it a lot more fun when hunting. if interested in squirrel hunting I suggest www.squirreldogcentral.com that is what th esite is all about and you can get really good info from a lot of us squirrel hunters..
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Spike

I was adopted by a tree walker. Came right out of the woods and fit right in.
She seems to be about 2 years old but I'm going to try and get her to run squirrels for me. I hope she turns out to be more than just a sweetheart of a dog.