HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Feral dogs and other predators (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/340026-feral-dogs-other-predators.html)

Hoyt ViperTec 02-11-2011 06:18 PM

Feral dogs and other predators

I know my overpopulated foxes will have a huge impact on my poult and turkey poulations this year, but the foxes, skunks, etc. I can trap and take care of that way. My question is:
Would you shoot this?

timbercruiser 02-12-2011 05:17 AM

Depends on where I am. If houses are relatively close by then I wouldn't. If I'm further out in the woods a dog without a collar, that doesn't look like a hunting dog, is subject to lead poison.

pcsd240 04-08-2011 06:11 PM

Drop it if you don't know where it came from!

GTOHunter 04-09-2011 06:39 AM

Now a days You can get in some serious trouble for shooting a Dog...if You happen to walk up on a stray/wild Dog and it growls and comes at You then You are justified in shooting it and protecting yourself or if it attacks Your house pets,Kids,Livestock or other Farm Animals etc...You might be better off to use a large live trap/cage and simply haul it to the local Dog Pound,People should be responsible for the Dogs and Pets and not let them run loose on other Peoples Property.I have trail camera pictures of a few Rabbit Beagles and some other stray Dogs running thu our property and I know they are disrupting the natural travel of our Deer...gets aggravating at times to see a stray dog running thru and messing with the Salt/Mineral Lick and several of them have collars so they are simply let loose to run where evere they want!

mortalcare 04-15-2011 12:11 PM

well,no collar,but unless you see him chasing deer,or turkeys no.if you have evidence of him acualy hurting the wildlife then try live trapping him

falcon 04-15-2011 02:01 PM

It is fashionable in SW OK to take unwanted dogs out in the county and turn them loose. Some of the really bad ones survive the hogs and coyotes. They go on to chase deer and attack livestock.

i've found it necessary to kill several feral dogs. Our sheriff encourages the shooting of bothersome feral dogs.

Bocajnala 04-15-2011 04:57 PM

Around my place it'd be shot. Like above, we get a lot of drop offs. A couple dogs can make a lot of dogs in a short amount of time. Biggest group I saw around here was 9 dogs together.
Several ppl in my area go together and decided we were gonna get rid of them all. We all know each other and know which dogs belong and which don't. It worked. If I saw that running stray, it'd be shot.
-Jake

hoghunter59 04-15-2011 09:55 PM

we have alot of drop off dogs in our area, being in a rural area we know most of the dogs, we have had some problems during calving with feral dogs, they are taken out as they become troublesome

Seif5034 05-30-2011 11:47 PM

Same thing happens in Mississippi. People "drop off" unwanted dogs, puppies, cats etc. I'll usually let them be unless they annoy me or bother my property in some fashion. (including my hunting ability)

Sheridan 05-31-2011 10:06 AM

If you know it's feral.........................kill it !!!

Just like any coyote to me, especially when they pack up.