HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Has any other squirrel hunter noticed this? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/339452-has-any-other-squirrel-hunter-noticed.html)

NEK 02-01-2011 01:11 PM

Has any other squirrel hunter noticed this?

I have lived in the deep south and also the far north and have always had a yard full of Gray squirrels around the bird feeders - and the Florida grays are very noisy - sounding almost like a cat whenever any animal or person goes into the yard - they are constantly raising cain about something. But these Northern grays are (so far) almost totally silent. I've had as many as 6 at a time in my yard here in Vermont and have yet to hear one make a sound, and when I tried out my old squirrel call that worked like a charm on the Florida squirrels, These Northern ones either ignore it or freak out and run off.
They sure look like the same squirrel. Just seems kind of strange to me.

Lance_23 02-01-2011 01:52 PM

well, here in the south(NC) if there out running around and i step out side they usually go to barking and while I'm in the woods hunting for em ill take my call and bark a lil and they go to barking also, my nephew has a call and his squiler works on his (mine broke) and that also drives em crazy if there out moving around.

but that is weird that ya haven't heard a single bark, but i rekon not all places are gonna have the same animal patterns and such.

Alpine_Archer 02-01-2011 02:38 PM

Down here in Florida everyone I know calls them Cat Squirrels because the noises they make. The ones out in Colorado did seem to be ALOT quieter compared to these noisey barking ones down here. lol

mortalcare 02-01-2011 05:19 PM

really? in live in kentucky and cuz of all the yotes the squirells are silent.If you bark the squirells think "good luck comerade'

NEK 02-01-2011 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies folks.( Mortalcare)- ya gave me an idea. The reason for the quiet squirrels - might be because we have a lot of Fishers around here - and their favorite meal is squirrel. I see fresh Fisher tracks in the backyard a couple of times a week lately. Coyote sign as well.

monkeyman2269 02-02-2011 01:20 PM

ya the grays in ny are smart just like the people LOL im just kidding

hunt12ga 02-02-2011 06:40 PM

They are very noisy around here. A lot of the gray squirrels around my house make a sizzling noise... and it us usually a little while before I start the gravy :)

sorry, I couldn't resist
rw

NEK 02-03-2011 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by hunt12ga (Post 3767856)
They are very noisy around here. A lot of the gray squirrels around my house make a sizzling noise... and it us usually a little while before I start the gravy :)

sorry, I couldn't resist
rw

Yah, LOL - That's really the only noise they make around here.
Wish we had some big ol Fox squirrels up here, but it must be too far north for them. That's some prime eatin!!!

Bocajnala 02-03-2011 10:49 AM

Here in north east Ohio they seems to only bark when something is out of place. Like a warning. They do kinda chatter when they are playing sometimes, but I rarely hear that in the woods.
-Jake