HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   calling yotes during breeding season? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/338444-calling-yotes-during-breeding-season.html)

dogpoo 01-15-2011 06:42 PM

calling yotes during breeding season?

Ok fellas I need to know is there any tricks for calling yotes during breeding season? I've shot 6 yotes so far without calling them in! They were at all differant times of the day I shot them were I work!There is two fields on each side of my shop and no shortage of yotes here. I would like to start callin them at night any advice? The breeding season is on so I'm told here in lower Michigan. I'm ready to roll! Thanks!

Howler 01-16-2011 02:28 PM

Being as far north as you are, I doubt that the breeding season has started there yet, BUT with that said, you call them during breeding season just like any other time of the year. Might use more coyote vocals during the breeding season, but other than that, call them with about any distress sounds.

dogpoo 01-16-2011 06:47 PM

I check the dnr website and thats the info it posted. Not saying I believe it but when would you say it should kick in?

Howler 01-17-2011 06:38 AM

That far nroth, probably end of next month. I know a lot of guys that call predators, and those that are in the south say that they are starting to see signs that the breeding season is near. I generally see it kick in around the end of Feb. right on into March in these parts.

Nomercy448 01-17-2011 11:27 AM

Breeding season or not, I don't change too much in my calling techniques unless the coyotes seem to be resisting the calls. Sometimes, however, it DOES seem pretty apparent that the coyotes are more interested in "hooking up" than feeding, so I do try a few tricks from time to time when things seem a little slow:

Locator calls... I don't usually use locators, but they seem more effective during breeding season. It seems like males are more willing to investigate intruders during the breeding season.

Female scent or coyote scent... If fresh heat scent is available, it can be used to peak the interest of males, but last year I started using "Coyote in a stick" type scents. During the more "territorial" breeding season, coyotes will be more apt to investigate intruders than usual.

Just listen to the night... During hot breeding seasons, I'll drive around some of my favorite haunts and just listen. Coyotes "in love" are much less wary than normal, so sometimes you'll be able to hear either contesting pairs of males, locating younger coyotes, or mating pairs just by driving around and dropping the window. Once I hear something, I'll kind of assess what calls to put up, or if I can simply stalk to within range.

dogpoo 01-17-2011 06:01 PM

Hey, Thanks! One can never gather to much information. Been hunting 30+ years and this coyote game is new to me. I must say it really gets the blood pumping when you here em at night. I'll take all the advise I can get. Thanks!!!