HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Reliable .22LR Ammo for hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/338414-reliable-22lr-ammo-hunting.html)

Scottdnramember 01-15-2011 11:30 AM

Reliable .22LR Ammo for hunting

I've recently run into a problem with the "Promo" loads. You know the 500 rd boxes. I have two 333rd boxes from Remington with squib loads and awfull performance in 2 different semi-autos and now a 500rd box of Wincesters giving smoke stacks and ignition failures. Both guns are clean and in good condition.

Do you guys have this kind of problem? Most of these seem to work ok in a Ruger Mk2 pistol, probably because of the shorter bbl.

I just don't know why it seems to much to ask to expect a round to go off and function properly anymore in a large box. Many of you remember buying the 500 rd bricks for about $7 and they all worked great in anything. Now it cost $20 and they suck. What is going on?:confused0024:

Backwoods7 01-15-2011 02:51 PM

I've had alot of problems with Remington bulk ammo. Jams failure to fire etc. I use federal bulk and love it. 36gr hp they shoot great and hit hard. If there feeding fine in your mkii and not you rifles then I'd guess the rifles are dirty and need to be cleaned

RustyD02359 01-15-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember (Post 3758307)
I've recently run into a problem with the "Promo" loads. You know the 500 rd boxes. I have two 333rd boxes from Remington with squib loads

Many of you remember buying the 500 rd bricks for about $7 and they all worked great in anything. Now it cost $20 and they suck. What is going on?:confused0024:

Ahh the good 'ol days! I too have had the issues w/ winchester, I was getting 1-3 in every box of 50. I sent a bunch back to WIn and got $30 in coupons. Rems. seemd to work better, can't find federal. I use them for practice as I shoot on pistol team at Marshfield gun club. But when match time comes I will ONLY use CCI, they go off every time, but you have to pay the price.

ADVWannabee 01-15-2011 03:37 PM

CCI. They will chew the center out of a target at 50 yards and go bank when you pull the trigger.

romat 01-15-2011 04:43 PM

Years ago my Brother and I did a amateur test on .22 ammo. We tested Winchester wildcat, super-x, remington Thunderbolt, and there were a few other but I don't remember what they were. We used 10 shot tests, cleaned both Ruger 10-22's between tests. Tested for accuracy, chamber dirtiness, and just sound. Thunderbolt was filthy and the sound was sporadic. Winchester super-x beat all and have been using it since. As a side-note we only used ammo we could get at local discount store (Pamida)

NCGHunter 01-15-2011 04:55 PM

I'm using CCI Mini Mini Mag 40gr. for breaking-in my new Remington 597 .22LR & have only put 104 rounds through it & so far haven't had any issues with the ammo. Some say the cheap ammo won't work well with the 597s, even with Remington ammo. I've read really good stuff about CCI ammo in the 597s(and CCI overall in any gun) so thats what I went with but like others said already it is a little more pricey than some but makes up for it in performance.

Scottdnramember 01-15-2011 05:36 PM

I have a box of CCI that I am going to try tomarrow if it's not too windy. I still have a few precious Winchester super X wildcats from the "Good Old Days" but they are thinning out fast.

I also have two Bricks of Thunderbolt that was sold together still wrapped in plastic. I paid like $18.95 for them back then! They used to work ok. You know we used to sit up on this hill on a gas line and shoot frogs in this bog down at the bottom in the spring from about 50+ yards and blow through a brick like it was nothing (one or two afternoons) with marlin glenfields. We never had the troubles you have now with bulk ammo.

I think the recoil spring on the MK II is lighter than a rifle. Plus I notice a much less difference in the report through the pistol than a rifle on these crap rounds. I can't remember a jam with the MKII, even filthy!

Blackradio 01-16-2011 06:56 AM

I use federal bulk. Also just got some CCI.

papadave 01-16-2011 02:32 PM

22 ammo

I bought a Savage mkII 4 years ago and did the brand test with ammo. CCI Blazer was the winner. It will shoot minute of tree rat every time for me. Now I bought a Marlin 925m 22wmr. Went and got CCI Maxi Mag hp and at 50 yds this stuff was just as good as the 22lr. Going out tree rat and coyote hunting in 2 weeks. That will be the real test.