Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Late Season Squirrel?

Old 12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Late Season Squirrel?

Hey,

Just getting back into squirrel hunting and was wondering what your strategy for late season. Deer season is winding down and I have two more months of small game hunting. What is the best way to go about finding and taking squirrels in the months of January and February? My .22lr is sighted in and ready to go.....now I just have to find some squirrels. There are tons of those little buggers around during early fall, but as it gets colder they are harder to find.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Middle of the afternoon when the sun is out and its the warmest. I still hunt, cause I get too cold if I try and sit. Just slowly slip through the woods as silently as you can. ANd keep your eyes open. Look for them digging through the snow on the ground and also laying on the branches(sunnign themselves maybe? I dont know, but I see them laying on branches alot during late season.)
Good luck!
-Jake
Old 12-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

I went out yesterday morning and still hunted. I walked a little ways and stopped for a few minutes. Then walk a little further and stop again. With the crunchy snow and frozen leaves, I figured I would have little luck. But squirrels hear stuff all the time I guess.

Anyway, several times when I stopped for a few minutes, a squirrel I hadn't seen but had seen me made a move to get away. They will go up a tree and eventually get nervous and make a move. I popped several that way. I knew this years ago, but hadn't squirrel hunted in years and forgot most of what little I knew.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

try and keep your eyes up and scanning out a ways when you walk....theyre seeing you from far off and scampering around the other side of the tree, you really have to be tuned into movement cuz you probably wont hear much. Another good tactic this time of year is to hunt with a couple buddies and do some squirrel drives
Old 01-02-2011, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

As the late season drags on squirells will start to run out of stored foods.try baiting with heavy starches like cracked corn.another good tactic is waiting for the snow to melt.the first morning without snow squirells will be up and moving trying to find nuts.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

Do you remember all the squirrels running around your tree stand while you were deer hunting? They are still there. Sit up in your tree stand with your .22 and try to make them think you are deer hunting.

The past week here in Illinois the squirrels have be out and about like crazy. I took my kids out (3 and 5) and shot several out of our deer blind and one out of our buddy stand. They are spending a lot of time on the ground right now, so listen for them hopping through the leaves.

I don't hunt much in Feb, because sometimes you'll shoot one with little ones in their tummies. I don't care much for that...

rw