Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Predator Rifle

Old 12-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default Predator Rifle

Which caliber rifle would your recommend or which do you use for shooting coyotes, fox, and other similar sized, varmits.
I am looking at the 22-250 any thoughts?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I use a 22-250 T/C Encore, Love the caliber, I just use store-bought ammo. Nothing fancy. Have taken 300 plus yard shots with accuracy......
Old 12-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

The 22-250 Remington cartridge is an excellent varmint slayer for sure, capable of ranges out to 400 yards and at bullet speeds of 3,800 f.p.s. with a 50 grain bullet it does it rather quickly.

While the 22-250 Remington has been used for deer and even elk it is actually to small for this, bullet construction becomes the regulating factor here, bullet jackets are just to thin for dependable penetration and controlled expansion. If you handload this cartridge with the heavier 60 - 70 grain 22 caliber bullets it is capable of killing white-tailed deer and antelope sized game out to 100 yds with a well placed shot. I would say It is a pretty good all around gun just make sure if you hunt deer or elk with it that you put the bullet where it counts.

I would like to reccomend to you the Howa Axiom varmiter in king's camo..

Happy hunting,
Gen

Last edited by genesis27:3; 12-20-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currently shoot a .204 for predators and am approaching 150 coyotes killed with it. Before the .204, I used a 22-250. My success and kill count with the .204 doesn't mean that I'd recommend it for everyone, on the contrary, everyone needs to decide if they need the extra punch that the larger caliber gives. Since I call coyotes and very few of my shots are over 250 yards, I decided that the .204 in an AR suited me better than my bolt actioned 22-250 did and I've been happy with my decision.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:15 PM
Spike

I like to shoot a Ruger 220 swift and a Remington 700 in .243 for most of my predator hunting. I usually shoot the .243 if the wind is blowing a little stiffer. My old man shoots a .204 and 22-250. I would say that anything between a .204 and 25-06 would be a good caliber choice for predators, and maybe some of the .17 caliber rifles if you are cloase and there isn't much wind where you are. It just depends on what you want, whether you reload or not (I wouldn't recommend the 220 swift to anyone that doesn't reload because ammo is fricken expensive), and how far you are going to shoot regularly. Remember that the bigger the caliber the larger the whole it will make as well. A lot of times I shoot a match bullet out of my .243 because it punches a pin hole through the dog whereas a V-Max or ballistic tip will often times blow up on the shoulder and leave a huge whole reducing the amount of money you will get for the pelt. Like I said, it just depends on what you are doing and what you want out of it. My $.02 on the matter. Don't know if that helps or makes it worse
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot both the 220 Swift and the 22-250 Rem. I load for both so cost is not considered. If you are not going to be shooting prairie dogs with it, then your biggest expendature will be at sight in. I load Ballistic tips for both. I don't keep the pelts anymore so blowing a big hole in them means they don't go anywhere after being hit. I throw mine in a ditch or into a hog lot afterwards. I have taken 'yotes over 400 yds with both with no problems. I could not pick one over the other.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
The 22-250 Remington cartridge is an excellent varmint slayer for sure, capable of ranges out to 400 yards and at bullet speeds of 3,800 f.p.s. with a 50 grain bullet it does it rather quickly.

While the 22-250 Remington has been used for deer and even elk it is actually to small for this, bullet construction becomes the regulating factor here, bullet jackets are just to thin for dependable penetration and controlled expansion. If you handload this cartridge with the heavier 60 - 70 grain 22 caliber bullets it is capable of killing white-tailed deer and antelope sized game out to 100 yds with a well placed shot. I would say It is a pretty good all around gun just make sure if you hunt deer or elk with it that you put the bullet where it counts.

I would like to reccomend to you the Howa Axiom varmiter in king's camo..

Happy hunting,
Gen
Originally Posted by Howler
I currently shoot a .204 for predators and am approaching 150 coyotes killed with it. Before the .204, I used a 22-250. My success and kill count with the .204 doesn't mean that I'd recommend it for everyone, on the contrary, everyone needs to decide if they need the extra punch that the larger caliber gives. Since I call coyotes and very few of my shots are over 250 yards, I decided that the .204 in an AR suited me better than my bolt actioned 22-250 did and I've been happy with my decision.
Originally Posted by muleyman
I like to shoot a Ruger 220 swift and a Remington 700 in .243 for most of my predator hunting. I usually shoot the .243 if the wind is blowing a little stiffer. My old man shoots a .204 and 22-250. I would say that anything between a .204 and 25-06 would be a good caliber choice for predators, and maybe some of the .17 caliber rifles if you are cloase and there isn't much wind where you are. It just depends on what you want, whether you reload or not (I wouldn't recommend the 220 swift to anyone that doesn't reload because ammo is fricken expensive), and how far you are going to shoot regularly. Remember that the bigger the caliber the larger the whole it will make as well. A lot of times I shoot a match bullet out of my .243 because it punches a pin hole through the dog whereas a V-Max or ballistic tip will often times blow up on the shoulder and leave a huge whole reducing the amount of money you will get for the pelt. Like I said, it just depends on what you are doing and what you want out of it. My $.02 on the matter. Don't know if that helps or makes it worse
Thanks guys! I will consider all of these opinions.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

that "Howa Axiom varmiter" is a nice gun but for the price they want it would be hard for me to get one (Been reading this post but haven't said anything) my question for the 22/250 is Fur damage. realistically I'd love to get one and Smack some foxes and yotes with it and I realize the idea behind it is just to kill the dang animals and be done with it. but on the flip side if you sell the fur then your kinda screwed.

Ryan.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default lordy, a "predator rifle"

For a minute, I thought they had come out with an expensive special "predator rifle" for newbie country club hunters?

Any "deer" rifle will collect a coyote, if you're not looking for hides. Those center fire .22's, accurately shot important, will put little holes in hides, going in and coming out, for the hide collectors.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the CZ 527 in .223 and 12g depending on where I go.For open country/long shots the 22-250 is best.At short-moderate range either .222 or .223 is best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.