Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Thinking of buying this rifle

Old 12-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Spike

Default Thinking of buying this rifle

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...351-01686-7490

Thinking of buying this .22 for mainly hunting squirrel. Do any of you have this gun or know anything about it (pros and cons)? Also I was wanting to know if this gun would be good for hunting coyote? They have become a big problem lately.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Typical Buck

I am not a fan of any tubular magazine where you load/unload the cartridges near the muzzle. I see too many people with the muzzle pointed in an unsafe direction - quite often a head, neck or upper body. I suggest looking for a rifle with a removable box magazine (some people refer the them as a clip, but it is a magazine not a clip). The Marlin 60 is accurate enough, I just do not like the tubular magazine design with the loading/unloading near the muzzle as most people do not handle them properly. Also check to see if a semi-auto can be used in your area. Some places do not allow them for hunting.

A .22LR is marginal for coyotes. It would have to be a very close shot with a good high velocity load. The key is shot placement and knowing your limitations.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Spike

I don't really like tube fed magazines much either. I would buy a Remington 597 .22lr. I have heard that the 10/22 is a good rifle, but they are more expensive than the 597.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the tube fed magazines. I have a Marlin 39A that is tube fed...and it's nice to have a 22 that holds 15 shells. That way I don't have to carry any more with me when I go hunting.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a fan of tube mags simply because there is the possibility of a round getting stuck/unstuck creating a safety risk.I would spend the few extra bucks on the Ruger 10-22.I have had mine for over 30yrs and they're good reliable RF's plus there's tons of add-on's available for them should you wish to make some changes.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

I have had my Marlin model 60, since 1983.
And have had no problems with it at all.
I have shot tons of squirrels with it.
It is a good squirrel rifle.
I would get something bigger for coyotes than a .22, but for squirrels it's a good rifle.
JMHO
Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure great .22lr for squirrels.

Might want to look at Ruger 10/22 also.

Two of the best !!!
Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I own 4 .22 rifles. I have a Ruger 10-22, a Marlin 39A, a Marlin 60, and a Henry H001. Of the 4 the 39A is the most accurate and is easily my personal favorite. The Ruger is probably my least favorite as it's the most finicky about ammo. Several times I've bought inexpensive bulk .22 ammo that the 10-22 wouldn't feed, but were fine in the Marlin 60.

The Marlin 60 is a great little rifle and quite a bargain considering it's price.

I don't think tube fed rifles are dangerous, unless you're stupid and or careless, and then no gun is safe in your hands.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Spike

Thanks for the advice everybody. As far as safety goes, there is nobody safer than me. I always make sure the barell isn't pointed somewhere it shouldn't be.

Another question I have is about another Marlin .22. It is a bolt action with like an 8 round magazine. Are the bolt action rifles more reliable than a semi auto as far as jamming up and what not?
Old 12-13-2010, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WildLifeSniper85
Thanks for the advice everybody. As far as safety goes, there is nobody safer than me. I always make sure the barell isn't pointed somewhere it shouldn't be.

Another question I have is about another Marlin .22. It is a bolt action with like an 8 round magazine. Are the bolt action rifles more reliable than a semi auto as far as jamming up and what not?
Yes, you can feed about anything through a bolt or lever gun, that can't be said about the semi-auto's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.