Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

blanco county texas predator hunting

Old 11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Spike

Default blanco county texas predator hunting

anyone on here hunt or know someone that hunts predators in Blanco County, Texas? We have been on the same lease for several years and have a lot of deer, turkey, rabbits, hogs as well as a main water source and many creeks that hold water after a rain but we rarely see foxes--once on camera and a kid saw one while he was pissing right by camp this weekend, no one has ever seen a bobcat except once on camera one time and we have never had a sign of any cougars. We have never even seen coyotes but we hear large packs of them all around. I really want to get into some predator hunting after deer season but I just don't know if we have large enough populations to try it. I just figured we would have seen more without calling if they were around. We are on 1323 between 281 and Fredricksberg.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Any luck yet?

My dad owns property down Sandy road 1323 - 308 , I try to predator hunt ever weekend I haven't put a dent on the hole property.

QUOTE=blancobuster;3730441]anyone on here hunt or know someone that hunts predators in Blanco County, Texas? We have been on the same lease for several years and have a lot of deer, turkey, rabbits, hogs as well as a main water source and many creeks that hold water after a rain but we rarely see foxes--once on camera and a kid saw one while he was pissing right by camp this weekend, no one has ever seen a bobcat except once on camera one time and we have never had a sign of any cougars. We have never even seen coyotes but we hear large packs of them all around. I really want to get into some predator hunting after deer season but I just don't know if we have large enough populations to try it. I just figured we would have seen more without calling if they were around. We are on 1323 between 281 and Fredricksberg.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-11-2022, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy, and welcome to the forums!

The extension service did a study years ago that estimated it would take removing 75% of the population annually to make a dent in the population.

I've quit shooting coyotes as much as I did, as I've come to the conclusion they are likely more beneficial to me than they are detrimental. I generally have been leaving them be unless they are causing me problems. For things like quail, they are predators of quail predators, and since there are still some quail in my neck of the woods, I try to do what I can to help the quail. The quail population in Texas is suffering enough. They would cause problems for the goats, but the guard dogs prevent that. I've even watched them actively hunt coyotes that stray too close to the herd. I wish they would develop more of a craving for bacon and do something about all the hogs.