Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Mountain Lion Question not sure if it belongs here? >

Mountain Lion Question not sure if it belongs here?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mountain Lion Question not sure if it belongs here?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mountain Lion Question not sure if it belongs here?

When I first heard this story I thought the guy was pulling bull**** and this is how it goes...
So over the summer one of the guys from my fire station said he thought when he was going to his tractor at like 430 in the morning he heard what he thought was a growl from something bigger than a regular cat. He also stated that it scared the hell out of him.
Then today when I went to the laundry mat the owner showed me a trail cam pic of a mountain lion walking through some high grass that covered just to the cats back. The owner stated it took them almost 7 months to get that pic. They had gotten a pic earlier in the year but the shot was pretty far off and not very clear. So they kept trying to get another pic that was clear.
What I want to know is what can I use as bait to hopefully lure the mountain lion in for a better pic. I was thinking of possible using a road killed deer but not so sure that will work.
I also know there is at least one water source near where the mountain lion was photographed and where the field is where the guy from the fire station has the field where he was going to the tractor.
The weird part is that I live in Northwestern PA along Lake Erie that borders New York State. The town is called North East if anyone wants to Google the actual location.
If I cannot really use a road killed deer what other things can I use to attempt to attract the mountain lion near my trail camera? Should I also try to set the camera up near the water source?
What are some other ideas to use to catch the cat on trail cam?
Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 AM
Spike

When I needed to get pictures of the cougars we have around here I went to the local butcher shop and asked for the spare beef blood. If they give it to you (some wont) just pour it out around the area the game cam will be. The cougars will smell the blood and so will any other predators in the area. Having a carcass there could keep them there longer for more pictures. Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Spike

One more thing to keep the blood scent constant put a good amount in a jug but dont fill it all the way up and poke holes in it. Leave it somewhere in the camera view, but in an area thats difficult for animals to get to.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

hey! i hunt in northwestern PA and rumor has it the game commision put a couple in to take down coyote populations but they will just take down deer too. but im 14 years old and me and my friend where fishing a creek in oil city and a cougar confronted us and was growling in the high weeds, we were scared as hell and got out of there!!! some guy even got one in clarion county!