Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Unknown game

Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Spike

Default Unknown game

This evening I went out after class to do some small game hunting. I was walking between a cornfield and a think pine forest when about 20 yards ahead of me I heard panting and saw a dark coyote-like figure running into the corn. I threw up the gun and took a shot, missing behind. I've never heard a coyote pant and moan like that as it ran into the corn...it seemed demonic. It also seemed low to the ground and had a darker-than-usual coat. Any ideas to what this could have been? My initial identification was coyote--after making the decision that it was not a house pet.

I'm was in Indiana Co. PA by the way if that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

It is very important that the object you are planning to shoot is identified without question before a shot is fired.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

Identify the target even before you point a firearm in its direction.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

"It is very important that the object you are planning to shoot is identified without question before a shot is fired."

"Identify the target even before you point a firearm in its direction."

Be sure of your target and what lies beyond…
Old 11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Inactive

I dont think anyone can venture a guess as to what it was.

But you did commit a cardinal sin by taking a shot before being able to identify your target. It could have well been somebodys pet.

I hope you learned a very important lesson from what you did, and never repeat that error.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Spike

CHUPACABRA!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

I had a pig run past me about three years ago in Indiana PA, I didn't shoot it because it happened so fast, the only thing I could think was that it was a bear, but as I thought more about it I realized it was a pig. Then a few of my cousins saw them later in the season too.
-Jake
Old 11-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man dont never EVER shoot at something you have no clue what it is or whats beyond it!!!!!! If you was huntin with me id make sure you'd never go back!!!!! Learn how to hunt/shoot!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Spike

I have seen all black coyote's in alabama
Old 11-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have too. Alot of ppl mistake um for black panthers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.