Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

squirrel calling.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default squirrel calling.

I have seen those squirrel calls at cabelas and other hunting stores and was curious if any of you have called in a squirrel and if these calls work?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Typical Buck

In a word... NO. Well they can be at most somewhat effective at locating them but as far as calling them in NOPE. My suggestion is rather than buying one of those, if you're lookin for tips check out the ultimate guide to squirrel hunting on Amazon. You can buy it for about the same price as one of those calls and it will help you be so much more effective.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

I just have always called them by squeaking with my lips and the back of my hand. Sometimes they get curious and come in but still the most effective way I have found is to slip through the woods stopping and sitting every so often. BB
Old 10-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

Take 2 quarters, hold one flat and the other one up and down, and strike them together. Sounds like a squirrel chirping, it makes a good locator and alot cheaper than buying a call. It sounds dumb, but it works.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was told; hold them both flat and just rub them together....

Why not, try them both - as Mike says, the price is right !
Old 10-14-2010, 09:45 AM
o_O
Spike

The flat quarters is supposed to sound like them eating so might bring them in. I've noticed when you take a shot at one you sometimes hear another start barking. Still hunting from there has got my cross hairs on a few. Fast little buggers though.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

The call is designed to locate and draw attention. You won't actually sit down, hit the call, and have tree rats running for you. When you step into the woods and bark a few times, sometimes they'll answer and that gives you a little heads up as to where they are. It can also get one to move when you know it's in a tree but you can't see it.
-Jake
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Spike

Im very new to squirrel hunting, but I picked one of these up for 10 bucks and I have had decent success with it.

It's one of the multi calls with the squeal, bark, and chatter.

I've found it depends on what time of the season you are using it and which calls you use.

The bark is usually good for trying to locate them. If you can get one to bark back at you it narrows it down tremendously.

In the late summer / early fall the quarter trick works out quite well as they seem to want to investigate if they hear another squirrel cutting nearby. Also, the squeal works well at this time as well since some of the juveniles are still running around and that maternal instinct will sometimes work in your favor as they nearly run straight to you hoping to help the juvenile. Using the excited chatter, quickly followed by the squeal and kicking nearby leaves or shaking a branch really gets their attention as it mimics the warning followed by a predator attacking a juvenile.

Later on in the season is seems like it isn't nearly as effective as they no longer care about the other squirrels unless they hear one cutting and compete for the food. They mainly keep to themselves rather than chasing each other around or trying to locate one another.

Very late in the season, the chatter will get them worked up since its nearly mating season for them again. You can nearly call one right up to you if using the right camo and if you stay still.

I use a camo bandana to cover my face as they seem to be able to pick out the human face a mile away.

These are just my recent observations. I've called a handful in to me within 15 feet while still hunting, most others, probably the older veterans will just look but really won't come looking for you.

Just my 2 cents. Seems like they work if used properly and at the right times. Right now, in mid-late december, the things basically worthless, best to use your spare change and stalk them as you see them hopping from tree to tree.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

ive always had decent luck with them. Seems like every time i go ill hit that call every once in awhile and ill see squirrels and have some luck. The couple of times i didnt have a call with me are the times i got shut out. I think if you use the bark as you are entering the woods it makes the squirrels think you are just a squirrel, and it cuts down on that wait time where you normally sit still and let things get quiet and back to normal.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
Spike

I will use quarters/ pennies any time I go hunting, I feel like it cuts down on the time it takes to get them to return to there normal activity. It won't call them to you but it will get them moving again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.