Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel hunting with dogs

Old 09-29-2010, 04:25 AM
Spike

Default Squirrel hunting with dogs

Do any of you guys squirrel hunt with dogs?
I have heard many times of guys hunting with "squirrel dogs" but I have never seen it done or known anyone to do it. I'm curious how it works. From what I understand, a "squirrel dog" would be a Feist or Terrier of some kind. But, how?? Do they just walk around the woods with you trailing behind?? How does that equate to you shooting a tree rat??
I love dogs and hunting birds with my Lab. Just never been exposed to squirrel hunting with dogs. Sounds like something I would love to try....
Thanks for responses.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Spike

Nobody else has heard of this??
Old 09-30-2010, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

I had a couple good ones a couple years ago and they died of old age. Now I have a young dog but need to work with him more. As for how to do it: get lots of shells, turn them loose and when they bark treed go to them and start shooting. My son and nephew killed 13 in a half hour one day. It is a blast if you have good dogs!! Go to sqdog.com and you can learn anything you wanna know and find a dog if you wanna buy one. A lot of those guys will let you go with them to see if you like it.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

i have a blackmouth cur pup im trainin and a mt. cur. excellent on squirrels and coon. they are good when the squirrels are on the ground they tree them. a lot of times the squirrel wont pay any attention to you and offer good shots.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Spike

All you need to have is your dog chase squirrels which seems what they naturally do. I never trained my dog for squirrel hunting because all he has to do is scare them up in the trees and i just watch to see if they are jumping the branches and take them down with my 20ga. after i skin the squirrel i usaully play fetch with it so he gets to know what he is trying to smell for out in the woods.. Happy Hunting!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is "classic".......................dosen't get any better than this !!!

"...........get lots of shells, turn them loose and when they bark treed go to them and start shooting." OKIE
Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 AM
Banned

I have been hunting squirrels with dogs for years. It is a blast! You cast them into the timber and walk behind. Similar to coonhunting or bird hunting.