HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   New hunter - NOT youth! Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/330570-new-hunter-not-youth-help.html)

TiNk3R 09-25-2010 10:23 AM

New hunter - NOT youth! Help

Hi guys... I'm going to make a long story short. I'm a very avid fisherman (mainly ice fishing), but I've never hunted. I am 27 y/o and never fired a gun in my life. (To make the embarrassment worse my wife is an Iraq vet who has fired more guns than I have fishing poles... ouch!) anyways... I've grown up without a dad so hunting is something I was never taught.

People have suggested I start with squirrels and rabbits. I would agree. (I don't want to dive into deer hunting, and I don't have a dog for pheasant hunting...yet).

My goal is to get equipped and a few outings squirrel/rabbit hunting this season, and hopefully progress to something else next season.

So I'm kind of hoping I can get pointed in the right direction of where to go, what kind of gun/equip I should get etc.

Any advice is good advice, and I surely do appreciate it.

Thank you for reading (longer than I had intended).
Tink

Big Z 09-25-2010 12:18 PM

I'd start with a hunter ed course. You can learn many basics, and it all stems from the basics...

If you've any friends with guns, you might ask if they'd take you somewhere to get some shooting in. Offer to pay for ammunition and fuel, and see about joining in on hunts if possible, if only to tag along and watch.

You obviously need a gun to get started, and since you're just starting out, a 12 (or 20) gauge pump shotgun can get you far. From doves to geese, squirrels to deer, you can do a lot with it. I'd look into the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and Benelli Nova. By look into, I mean that they all are solid performers or I wouldn't recommend them, but feel 'em. See how they fit you, and decide from there.

When you finally have your gun, learn about it. Read your manual, learn how to disassemble it, learn how to use chokes to control shot pattern, and spend some time shooting targets.

Apparel is sort of important, but don't think you need to get $1,000 sets of camo. Jeans and a sweatshirt will get a guy far for small game, though I'd grab a vest with a game bag. Obviously, dress for the weather.

Ammunition must be matched to the game. In general, use smaller shot size for smaller game, and vice versa. You'll learn about shot size in hunter ed. You'll probably want to use #6-8 shot on squirrels and rabbits... I carry ammunition on a belt.

Be aware of how to field dress the animals you're going to kill.

After some simple preparation, you're dressed for the day and have your gun and ammunition, the ability to hit what you're shooting at, a knife or two, etc.... hit the outdoors and try to get some stuff shot. You can learn about the good spots in your area and how to approach situations with some thought and you'll only become better.

In the future, you may want to add a 22 rimfire rifle to your collection. From there, perhaps a centerfire rifle, maybe a muzzleloader, a bow, whatever. Some guns you'll want more than one of, just because. Some guys stick with small game on occasion, though a lot of us hunt about anything as often as possible.

country1 09-25-2010 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear that you did not have a dad growing up. Welcome to the hunting world.

As noted above, take the hunter safety course. See if there are hunters who will take you under their wing for instruction.

Not all hunters are safe. If you are not comfortable with how they handle a firearm or their attitude, leave immediately.

See what gun clubs are around your area (look for NRA clubs in particular) and what they allow to be fired at their club. See if they would be willing to work with you (our club would be). Our club is an all volunteer NRA pistol club with caliber restrictions, but we also allow 22LR rifles. Members are allowed to fire certain pistol caliber carbines if it is approved by a club board member. A good 22LR rifle is the first firearm I would purchase. Ammunition is the lowest cost you will find, and a 22LR is great for working on proper form and accuracy. Check your local and state hunting laws to what restrictions may be in place for 22LR rifles (some states do not allow semi-auto for hunting).

Here is a NRA link that may be helpful to you.
http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp

TiNk3R 09-25-2010 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 3689547)
where are you from, you may find a member of this site willing to help you out.
RR

Oops! I thought I had it. Minnesota - metro area.

Thanks for the replys!

bt4264 09-29-2010 06:21 AM

May also want to check for local shooting ranges. There is one I use that offers different types of classes ie. defense, ccw, etc. One of those would, at least, get you some focused instruction and hands on training on safely loading, unloading and firing a gun. Hunter Safety course is a great idea also for more generalized information.
Sounds like you live with a pretty reputable instructor already....

mac266 09-29-2010 07:28 AM

1- SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!! I agree, take a hunter ed course.

2- SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY!!! Take an NRA rifle or shotgun course. The NRA teaches proper shooting skills (and SAFETY!); whereas, the hunter ed courses teach safety in the field. Hunter ed doesn't teach how to shoot, the NRA doesn't teach field skills. You need both.

3- I believe a .22 rifle would be your best first gun. They are wonderful to learn on, and you'll keep shooting it for the rest of your life. It's easier to learn rifles first and then learn shotguns later, rather than the other way around. They are shot very differently! Shotgun shooters have a tendency to jerk the heck out of rifle triggers when they're first learning rifles. I also disagree with a poster who suggested hunting squirrels with a 12 gauge and #6 shot. That load would blow a tiny squirrel to smithereens, unless your squirrels are the same size as a fox! In fact, I used to use that load to hunt pheasants (haven't hunted pheasant since I moved to Colorado).

4- Lastly, thank your wife for her service, but keep this in mind (and don't tell her I said it): After 16 years of military service (and continuing as a Reservist), five years as a cop, and 10 years as an NRA firearms instructor I've come to one conclusion. There are two groups of people who carry guns everyday professionally, and the same two groups of people scare the piss out of me with their gun safety: Cops and soldiers! Your wife may be able to shoot 40/40 on the M16 qualification course, but if all she knows about gun safety is what the Army taught her then she's probably dangerous. We (the Army) are failing. As an NRA instructor, I give the Army a big, fat "F" on safety. Take the NRA course and bring your wife, too.

Howler 09-29-2010 06:02 PM

tiNK3R, here's a link, http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/index.html for ya for your states hunter information, including hunter safety course availability. First thing off, as has been said, attent a hunter safety course first and foremost. You'll learn a lot there ranging from how to handle firearms safely, to animal identification, to hunting regs., and probably will get to fire some sort of gun which might be a 22 long rifle and maybe a shotgun. While in the class, ask questions, the person teaching the class will be willing to help.
From the safety class, take what you learned and apply. Also, try to hook up with like minded people that enjoy hunting the critters that you desire to persue. And go from there.
Good luck.

psandhu 09-30-2010 05:59 AM

Take your wife hunting too. She doesn't necessarily have to carry a gun, but you can take her with you.

My wife comes with me occasionally for dove, duck and deer hunting if the weather isn't too cold. She doesn't carry a gun, but she like to watch our dog do retrieving work; and she like to look for deer from the stand.

October in Minnesota, the only things that are probably in season right now are ducks, geese, and small game like rabbits/squirrels.

Your best bet for a first gun is a 12 gauge pump with a 3" chamber. Any brand like Remington, Winchester, Benelli or Mossberg is fine. The best one is the one that fits you the best and that you are most comfortable to handle.

You don't have to just hunt either. You can shoot clay pigeons with another person or two with a hand held thrower. Don't get a mechanical thrower, get a handheld one. Also, put a 3/4" dowel rod extension on the handheld thrower. That give the person doing the throwing a little more leverage. Shoot several boxes of the cheap 12 gauge 7.5 or 8 shotshells at clay targets before trying to shoot a rabbit, duck or whatever. It's fun to shoot and it's good practice. You will not necessarily do much shooting when you hunt. You don't want the shooting you do when you hunt to be your practice.

country1 10-01-2010 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by mac266 (Post 3691908)

After 16 years of military service (and continuing as a Reservist), five years as a cop, and 10 years as an NRA firearms instructor I've come to one conclusion. There are two groups of people who carry guns everyday professionally, and the same two groups of people scare the piss out of me with their gun safety: Cops and soldiers! Your wife may be able to shoot 40/40 on the M16 qualification course, but if all she knows about gun safety is what the Army taught her then she's probably dangerous. We (the Army) are failing. As an NRA instructor, I give the Army a big, fat "F" on safety. Take the NRA course and bring your wife, too.

I totally agree!!! It is not just the army but all branches of the military and law enforcement that need to work on safety AND sound shooting fundamentals. They really need to work on muzzle control, keeping their finger outside the trigger guard until the firearm is on target along with several other safety areas. This guy is REALLY scary. Prime example of ignorance and carelessness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRN00KbCr8

Sadly, most military and LE do not have sound fundamentals in handguns. If you know a person in the military or LE, suggest they take NRA courses - starting with NRA Basic Pistol. Note what Todd Jarrett says regarding training of military and LE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

TiNk3R 10-07-2010 04:48 AM

Well both the wife and I completed our hunter safety/gun safety course last night. We got to shoot some interesting 22s.

I plan on buying a rem 12gauge for small game hunting, but with the flexibility to get into deer/pheasant as well.

Thanks for your help guys... everything seems to be going to plan!