Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New hunter - NOT youth! Help

Old 10-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

o__O,

What Samuel ment, was that most PH's hear from their clients that they can shoot XXX many yards !?!?

So, the only real answer is.............let's see you do it (10 out of 10 times) !

A pie plate is commonly used as the approximate size of the vitals on big game animals.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Spike

Another question... if I get a .22 I assume it's a bad idea to shoot up into the trees at squirrels? Since there is no backstop that sucker will fly..
Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I guess it's possible but I've hunted squarels with a w
22 my hole life and have never herd of anyone/anything being hit or Hirt by a 22 flyer
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by TiNk3R
Another question... if I get a .22 I assume it's a bad idea to shoot up into the trees at squirrels? Since there is no backstop that sucker will fly..
Airiron????

and yes never shoot higher than the horizon with a .22lr unless there is something behind ur target to stop the bullet, and woods typically arent trustworthy enough to shoot it.

but i agree with Big Z's post, the first response to you. That was my succession into hunting. first i got myself a 12ga (not a 20) and i hunted squirrels, birds, then rabbits for a long long time. Then i bought myself a .22lr got used to scope shooting and doing the same hunting with a scope, and i just put a deposit in for a .35cal marlin 336.

but i always got the most pleasure from rabbits and squirrels, theyre all around a relatively easy hunt if u have land, they have a nice pelt, and they taste great and you dont even really have to do much to prep them if youre out at a bare basics cabin for a few days. where a deer is a little more to deal with if you dont know what you're doing.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
o_O
Spike

The CO DOW Elk hunting University covers a lot of basic hunting tips and advice. It's well worth the read, even if you not in Colorado, or hunting elk.
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/...ingUniversity/
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Spike

One of the best pieces of advice i can give you is save money =]
When you get ready for buying camo, i'd say asat is the best choice out there for a beginner and pros. I bet most of the pro hunters wouldnt wear the camo they are wearing now if they werent being paid to wear it. asat has some of the best technology for hiding yourself in the forest, i saw some of their pictures on their website and some, i couldnt find the hunter for a long time.

http://www.asatcamo.com/2_2_testphotos.htm#location1

i just got some new stuff from bugs n bullets.com and love it, the prices were the best i could find too.

http://www.bugsnbullets.com/ASAT_Cam...og_mid_44.html

i saved a ton of money by using some of the NcStar equipment from them too. The quality was decent enough to where i would suggest it to anyone starting out!

http://www.bugsnbullets.com/NcSTAR_catalog_mid_95.html

they have some cheap optics too that work really well
Old 12-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Big Z
I'd start with a hunter ed course. You can learn many basics, and it all stems from the basics...

If you've any friends with guns, you might ask if they'd take you somewhere to get some shooting in. Offer to pay for ammunition and fuel, and see about joining in on hunts if possible, if only to tag along and watch.

You obviously need a gun to get started, and since you're just starting out, a 12 (or 20) gauge pump shotgun can get you far. From doves to geese, squirrels to deer, you can do a lot with it. I'd look into the Remington 870, Mossberg 500, and Benelli Nova. By look into, I mean that they all are solid performers or I wouldn't recommend them, but feel 'em. See how they fit you, and decide from there.

When you finally have your gun, learn about it. Read your manual, learn how to disassemble it, learn how to use chokes to control shot pattern, and spend some time shooting targets.

Apparel is sort of important, but don't think you need to get $1,000 sets of camo. Jeans and a sweatshirt will get a guy far for small game, though I'd grab a vest with a game bag. Obviously, dress for the weather.

Ammunition must be matched to the game. In general, use smaller shot size for smaller game, and vice versa. You'll learn about shot size in hunter ed. You'll probably want to use #6-8 shot on squirrels and rabbits... I carry ammunition on a belt.

Be aware of how to field dress the animals you're going to kill.

After some simple preparation, you're dressed for the day and have your gun and ammunition, the ability to hit what you're shooting at, a knife or two, etc.... hit the outdoors and try to get some stuff shot. You can learn about the good spots in your area and how to approach situations with some thought and you'll only become better.

In the future, you may want to add a 22 rimfire rifle to your collection. From there, perhaps a centerfire rifle, maybe a muzzleloader, a bow, whatever. Some guns you'll want more than one of, just because. Some guys stick with small game on occasion, though a lot of us hunt about anything as often as possible.
Agreed. Solid advice