Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New hunter - NOT youth! Help

Old 10-07-2010, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good for the two of you. Sounds like a wild game cook book is in your near future.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Spike

if you are small game hunting, you should look into getting a 20 gauge. my experience with my 12 gauge is that if you miss the head and hit the body on a rabbit or pheasant there is a ton of meat damage. the 20 guage will also have plenty of power to knock down a deer.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tink,

You got some great advice from some of this forum's best.

Now that the both of you completed the hunter safety course, time to practice up.

Just to repeat; safety first !

Head out to the shotgun range; start by shooting some trap, then skeet and finally shoot some 5 stand.

IMO - each sport requires increasingly difficult skills.

The more time you put in at the range, the more you are likely to be successful when the opportunities present themselves in the field.

Like fishing - nothing beats catching fish !

Have fun and good hunting..........................
Old 10-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default welcome

i also started late in life,
Growing up in NYC, hunting wasnt something i grew up with,
now couldnt imagine life without it,
first step as others stated is hunter ed course, go for both gun and bow, get the bow certification out the way, so you have that option later,
until your set up to hunt, what you can do and a must for hunting is scout areas,
where will you be hunting for what?
scout with same intention as hunting, trying to spot and get close to the animals,
just walking/hiking through the woods isnt the same,
as you walk , animals scatter, especially squirrels, they wont make a sound as your walking, but if you sit still for a while, you will notice the wildlife around you.
learn the areas, remember animals need food, water and shelter,
where are those three where you plan on hunting? look for tracks/activity to/from those places,
for turkeys, get some calls, and try to call them in, even if you cant hunt yet,
slate and stick is an easy to use turkey call,
take it step by step, and dont forget to check in here with any questions
and yes as others mentioned, safety first!!!!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 PM
o_O
Spike

You're right where I was last year, but my first hunting trip was aged 36!! I moved to Colorado from the UK. I also got the advice to start with squirrels and a year on I completely agree, it's a great way to start. As a stand alone hunt it's great, long season too compared to big game (in Colorado), as prep for other hunting it's good too.

I've found hunting is much more than just walking through the forest with a gun! Clothing, food, water, navigation and equipment, getting used to the terrain and environment etc, other than the weapon, are all more or less the same as big game hunting. Then there's the regs. Hunting in Colorado is the first part of a lawyers degree. It's not bad when you get your head around it but I was mighty confused for the longest time about where I can hunt what and when.

I have a 870 now but as someone who has stood in your shoes last year, I would say if you're looking to progress to hunting deer or anything with a scoped rifle, buy a .22 with a scope. Learning how to use a scoped weapon is another skill, and it's entirely different to shooting at a range. A shotgun requires less from you for accuracy but when you hunt deer you need to have you skills down. A shotgun wont get you there.

IMO you owe it to the animals you hunt to be well practiced, and a sufficient marksman for a humane kill. Some people don't care about that, but I do. I feel good about hunting and taking responsibility for the killing the meat I eat, but I take no pleasure in inflicting an unnecessarily gruesome death on a living thing.

While range practice is important, the adrenaline of hunting can't be simulated. Getting the cross hairs on your quarry makes your heart beat fast. No target will do that. Getting a shot off on a squirrel at 40yards is a challenge, I'm told a similar challenge to getting one on a deer at 200 yards.

Range time will get you familiar with your weapon, improve basic marksmanship and safety, and teach you ballistics (bullet drop). When you're in the forest though, you don't have a shooting bench so you have to get out and learn how to steady yourself in less than optimal conditions. I've started using a sling or shooting sticks and try to brace myself against a tree or practice sitting/squatting comfortably. I've found accuracy is all about creating a stable shooting platform. I bought a bipod and at the range I was deadly, out in the field the grass was too long and it was useless. lol.

I decided to get tags and a 30-06 rifle this year after being invited to go Deer Elk hunting in November by a couple of wildlife rangers buddies. I felt last years hunting squirrels was good practice but still feel I'm moving on too early but what an opportunity to hunt with such experienced people. I'll be scouting the hunting area over the next few weekends and will have my .22 with me, so a dual purpose trip each time!

I was given a Marlin .22 model 60 by my in-laws and punched paper for a couple of years before realizing I was allowed to actually hunt, by myself, for real. So I went. I headed out numerous times for squirrel and rabbits but didn't see a thing. Slowly I learned the skills I needed and how to find my quarry and get close enough for a shot. My final trip out last year I got my first squirrel.

I spent the summer hiking and climbing as I always do but with an eye towards spotting the signs of deer, elk, and small game; identifying trees and shrubs etc. It's added a dimension to my other activities. My first trip out this year I got my second squirrel. I also saw a bunch of squirrels and should have got a couple more. I expect to be more successful this year. I cooked him in the mountains in a stew, with a potato, onion and seasoning. Eating my free range organic meat in the mountains sheltering from the rain under a huge boulder left me feeling very at peace with the world.

I'm of the opinion that going hunting (and fishing) is the prize, coming home with something is just a bonus.

Best of luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by o_O

I was given a Marlin .22 model 60 by my in-laws
Be very careful with rifles where you load the magazine at the muzzle end. Make sure you never have the muzzle pointed at any part of your body or anyone else.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:40 PM
o_O
Spike

Originally Posted by country1
Make sure you never have the muzzle pointed at any part of your body or anyone else.
Good advice, and not just for the Model 60!
Old 10-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I also suggest starting with a good 22. I don't suggest a auto for a beginner because you could get use to pray and spray method. I suggest either a boltaction savage or marlin or a leveraction Henry or marlin. Either one would be great for starting out. If you are set on a shotgun a good 12 is hard to beat. But if you aren't use to recoil I'd look into a 20 guage. My pet guage is 16 in between the two but gives the best of both worlds just ammo is harder to find. Also look into used guns there just as good and usually alot cheaper than a new one. I find used remington 870's and mossburg 500's all the time for 125-150. That's my sugestions...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Go to a Hunter Education course and learn the basics, your teacher will be glad to answer all your questions and can help you a lot.
Get a good rifle- It does not matter whether scoped or not but have a good all around rifle something from a .22 to a .243 is ideal for small game and predators.
When you feel comfertable with a gun and can shoot a pie plate at a hundered yards then go for a big game hunt.

PS. If your wife was in the army ask her about the AQT targets and practice on those.
They are very helpfull.
Glad you are a hunter now!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
o_O
Spike

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
When you feel comfertable with a gun and can shoot a pie plate at a hundered yards then go for a big game hunt.
Sorry mate but I have to disagree. IMO simply being able to paper punch with a .22 to pie plate accuracy at a range, does not prepare you to hunt big game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.