Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Beginner hunter - FIRST KILL!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:28 AM
Spike

Default Beginner hunter - FIRST KILL!

Hello,

Names Seth. I'm new to the forums, and hunting, and just would like to share my first kill with the community here at huntingnet. I shot my first bird with my Remington Airmaster 77 pellet gun, using Crosman .177 cal. ammunition. Pictures attached!

Thanks!

Pictures:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Gun used:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 AM
Spike

What kind of bird is that?

Good job. Make sure you eat him now.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

It looks like a Northern Flicker...not sure where you are, but I don't believe they are legal to hunt. I could be wrong, but I'm not here to yell anyway.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Spike

Great job on your 1st kill! Too bad it is illegal to kill Northern Flickers.
Maybe you should try researching the animals before you kill them.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

He's young. Let's be instructive rather than critical.
Seth, part of hunting and being a hunter is following laws. The laws are in place to protect the game animals, the hunters, and the whole sport. Without laws we would not have animals to hunt or land to hunt them on. While I congratulate you on a fine shot, You need to do some research in order to start doing this right. I remember my younger days of carrying an air rifle around the farm shooting things, but those days are gone. Talk to an adult and get the info you need, then begin to hunt things. There is plent of legal game, squirrel, rabbit, many types of birds, and much bigger game as well.... altho you'll need more than an air rifle for those.
Once again, it looks like a great shot. And we do not want to discourage you from a love of hunting. But, you need to look into the rules and make sure youre legal!
Good luck in the future,
-Jake
Old 09-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Inactive

Seth, welcome to HNI. Nice to have you join us. It's great to see new and aspiring hunters, shooters and fisherman here,

Now having said that, Bojan. is absolutely right. Learn the game laws in your area, and abide by them. You will gainthe respect of all hunters, and believe it or not, you will feel better yourself.

I wish you luck in any other "hunting" adventures, and keep us posted. Were always interested.

x-mountie
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Fork Horn

lol at posting a picture of an illegaly shot bird.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Was it self defense? wink!wink! Congrats and all that. In my state you can hunt Red squirills all year because they're not a protected species,but you obviously need a hunting liscence. I would presume that you don't have a liscence because you would have known what is considered a game animal.Hunting is not all about killing animals just because it's legal. It's more for the experience of learning all that you can about the animals,land,environment. We love our sport and want to keep it. Like the others said,do it the right way and have fun doing it. Look up something called the Interstate Wildlife Violator Compact.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Well it looks like ya got em and put em right on the grill.
Was he tasty
Old 09-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! That is how I first started out hunting. You gotta start somewhere! Plus it is pretty fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.