Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hunting Bobcats

Old 09-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting Bobcats

During a ML hunt late last year, I came across some cat tracks in the snow. I followed the tracks to the den and have been planning on hunting this guy.

I set up a bow stand fro deer season in this area and had my first sighting this past Sat evening.

Since I already know where his home is, what are the best times/approaches to be hunting this area? Since I'll be deer hunting primarily I don't want to use calls.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'm defiantly not an expert, but a fawn in distress call will bring in deer and may bring him in also. Other than that you can just wait him out and hope he makes an appearance.

Mitch
Old 09-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

A fawn in distress call may bring in some deer, but it also has a good chance of chasing deer away too. Use a fawn call without much distress in the call. Try to sound more like a lost fawn than one that is in imminent danger.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

sic yer dogs on him!
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip country1 - may sit in that stand tomorrow night and try it out.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
sic yer dogs on him!
Thats a bad idea
Old 10-12-2010, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jack Rabbit in distress call. Thats how I get mine in CO.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:13 AM
Spike

Without using predator calls, and without scaring deer? Hmmmm I would go with the fawn call. Not a distress call though. That would bring in the cat but probably not any deer. That or hunt the cat at night using blood from a local butchershop, and any kind of predator calls. Works wonders. Its amazing what a little cow blood can bring in.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

My vote goes to just wait it out if you are deer hunting. Just deer hunt and hope he comes. Unless you want the cat worse than a deer. The blood and predator calls would be the best option IMHO. Good luck though. BB
Old 12-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

use predator calls,I have had does standing within 5 feet of my fx3 and turned on rabbit cries at low volume and they dont spook,they are not predators and are not alarmed by the sound at all,I would not recomend a loud noise as it will bother the deer but mouse squeaks and bird sounds seem to be best for cats and of course rabbit sounds work good but I like the higher pitch for cats like baby rabbit sounds or bird sounds but you aint going to spook the deer unless you are blasting the woods with a loud sound...atleast I have never alarmed them with encounters I have had while using predator calls...