Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyoye huntin, and I need help

Old 09-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

What I do is just scan quickly every few minutes. I always use a red filter/lens on my light. Try not to shine eyes with the direct beam. It might be difficult to hunt with a light out of a stand with only one shooting lane(all you'll see is the tree lit up). I try not to shine anything in front of me like sticks and weeds. This is why I usually hunt field/brushlot edges. If you do hunt at night you may be able to get away with putting up a stand thats less concealed so that you can see more around you, just as long as you don't move around alot. I camoflage my gun even for night hunting. The more senses you can "fool" the better your chances. When you're calling you could try to hang a turkey feather from a stick and place some kind of scent near it(within gun range)such as fox/coyote urine.I'm gonna try some bobcat or deer urine. I accidently trapped a feral cat last year,it was frozen stiff so I stuck it in the snow under my stand. It brought in a nice red fox that tasted my 12Ga. Also, watch out for Great Horned Owls,I had a couple of them inches from landing in my lap.Do you have any fields on your land? How many acres do you hunt?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Spike

well i have 2 stands i suppose u could call them, its better said that one is a tree house thats about half way up a tree and isnt obstructed on any side and is about 15 feet off the ground with a bench and a 14 inch slot in all directions. and the second which is on the other side of my property is like a pillbox with the same size visibility but from 3 sides and an enclosed back. I'm putting new camo nets on a draw string so i can have only one side open at a time. There are about 6 different fields on the property one has real nice areas for cover in the center of it, and i own 15 acres but theres access to endless terrain thats unowned NYS land, and i have permission from the farmers and other land owners so in the end its gotta be in the hundreds of acres that nobody but me and friends will be hunting, all the other locals either farm or have houses up there for the weekend and nothing more.

also my gun, scope and barrel are black, and all that would be visible is my face which i will conceal because i know that the face is very recognizable (or so ive heard) as well as hands. I was also told that the tree house is good because i'm not in the wind so to say so it is less likely to spread my scent.. what do you think?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good! I do agree that being elevated will help keep your scent up high. Have you considered shooting with a rifle? Have you decided on calls? Be careful of using closed reed calls in the cold,they freeze up! It would be a good Idea to have a few with you. Some calls have different tones/pitch too. Try not to overcall one area. That's why I wondered if you have any fields. You could set up on the edges and hunt new areas to keep from overcalling. I often make 4-5 stands in a night. Since you'll be elevated, if you have a Yote' coming in try not to call too loudly when they're close,maybe a few lip squeeks or a rodent squeeker. Watch their body language to decide whether to stop calling or not.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Spike

well i have a savage mark II fv hunting .22 and i'm going to use velocitors and yellowjackets, see which works best. the only reason i'm using the .22 is because i only have that and a shotgun, and i dont feel like spending a ton of cash on a new gun plus im a really good shot on moving targets especially from the bench. The shotgun is a sure thing its full choke and i'll use hornady #4 buckshot varmint express. Either one of the 2 will get the job done with the right shot, i'm gonna first try with my rifle and if that really isnt doing the trick ill switch to the shotgun which will most definitely take them out.

i have a raccoon distress call that sounds the exact same as a rabbit distress its closed reed, but i'll keep it in an inner pocket to make sure it doesnt freeze, and i read about call patterns on that link you gave me followed by a lone howl followed by distress then about an hour of silence. Do i need to get a coyote call or can i make howls from the predator call?

and in regards to the land i think im going to do that, move from 4 different locations every hour or so, ill have the 2 in my stands and 2 on fields that are spread out. but when i set up in a field should i set up, upwind because they'll come from down? or should i just try to set up in mid field under cover?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

re-tard,

Put out the weed pipe, hit the field, and find out what works for your area.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Spike

you're an angry little bastard arent you?

the season isnt open yet, and my cabin is 3 hours away so im not goin up there to just test stuff out yet. predate hunts pretty close to the same area and is willing to give good info.

if you have nothing of value to say why bother posting?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

Wait to go Huntard,don't take no crap. Not that I condone meaningless chatter in a public forum. Do you think he/she would respond that way to his/her own mother,father,brother,sister if they asked a question? Sorry to inconvenience you sir/ma'am, but huntard and I were using this thread titled " COYOTE HUNTING NEED HELP"! Where I come from we help our fellow hunters/Americans . I as well as huntard are not afraid to ask questions and use our time in a useful way to learn our sport. I would assume that you hunt coyotes since you read this thread, so is there any tips/tactics/advise that you have for huntard and I?
Old 09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by PREDATE
What I do is just scan quickly every few minutes. I always use a red filter/lens on my light. Try not to shine eyes with the direct beam.
You're making a huge mistake...your scanning light sound be on continuosly from the time you leave the truck till you get back. Just alittle friendly advice....
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by tnpnt1
You're making a huge mistake...your scanning light sound be on continuosly from the time you leave the truck till you get back. Just alittle friendly advice....
And I appreciate that advice! If I'm on the ground making multiple stands I usually have it on alot but not the whole time,Ill have to get a light that'll last all night.LOL! Usually when I sat in a treestand (especially when there was snow) I wouldn't use a light,I figured if they were in shotgun range I'd see em'
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Spike

No problem,good luck......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.