Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyoye huntin, and I need help

Old 09-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Spike

Default Coyoye huntin, and I need help

So i'm gonna get started hunting coyotes what do i need to know?

I'm gonna be using a single shot 12ga with 2 point buck shot, so im gonna have to get these guys in close.

good thing is i have a tree stand that has real good cover, and its about 15 feet off the ground and completely covered all but a slot.

i intend on baiting them and calling so what do you guys think i should use.

also was interested in getting a scope on my shotgun however i dont know if this will be possible... any input.

this is my gun, i'm gonna have to figure out some kind of mount.

http://vimeo.com/14699892
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't want/or need a scope on your shotgun.

You'll do fine................look for them to come in from down wind.

If you can find some sort of decoy to keep their attention off you, that will help.

Be patient and persistent.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Sheridan.You shouldn't need a scope especially in thick cover.I hunt at night, so a snow covered ground is what I like,I don't even need a light.I'm not sure where you hunt North,south,east or west?I hunt the northeast(New York).Bait/decoy would be good,but if I sit on a single stand for long periods I won't call alot.Just enough to get em interested.Once they know you're there they'll avoid you like the plague.when you call they will almost always get downwind and if they don't see/smell what is making the noise you might not get them into shotgun range.If you have a huntin' buddy or an electric caller you might consider setting up one guy downwind of the caller to intercept them when they try to get downwind of the "free meal".Keep the questions comin' and let us know how you do.Good huntin'. my season starts Oct. 1st. I'll probably get a few nights in before Bow season for deer opens on Oct.16th. I'll let ya'll know how I do.Coyoye huntin, and I need help-dsc_0009_01.jpg
Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 AM
Spike

well i have 500 acres in margaretville new york and i have a tree stand set up its at the top of this small mountain and its covered pretty well.

i suppose i could bait (but i would want something that is really attractive any suggestions?), and i'm gonna call but i dont wanna buy an electric call i would rather get a good old predator call and make wounded rabbit sounds
Old 09-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Coyotes will eat almost anything so; squirrels, rabbits, birds, a gutpile.

I hunt around cattle and the after-birth is their favorite (bag it).
Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

I'm over in Broome county and I'm in Deposit every weekend.I thought about doing some hunting in Delaware Co. We can't hunt bobcats over here.Have you seen any bobcat?I've found rabbit fur or carcasses to work the best.Last year I tried hanging a turkey wing from some fishing line so that the wind would move it slightly,no results(it was COLD)! Do you plan on hunting day or night?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

It is said that most of the coyotes that respond to a call are never seen by the hunter,and I believe it.They are very tricky and could come in from any direction.I'm gonna try to step outside of the box this year and try using some different calls ie.turkey,woodpecker,duck,mouse,DEER!! I read in Predator xtreme magazine where in deep snow some guys put an electric caller inside a deer decoy.It seemed to work.I'm posting a link for you I think you will enjoy.Check out the message boards and forumshttp://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oG7_UVrZ...ooncoyoteclub/
Old 09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Spike

thanks for the help Predate.

I have an enclosed tree stand with a bench so i can spend hours in there. I think im going to cook some bacon or something or put some meat hanging from a tree under a slow flame so it lets the scent out so they can catch it down wind, and i'll call.

but i wouldnt know if i needed to do wounded rabbit, or what specific calls i'd need for them.

and i havent seen any bobcats but i know where plagued with coyotes in ulster county/catskill region. i have a small 4 person cabin and we go up there to shoot and just drink/sit around a fire smoke some pot and there have been coyotes that were maybe 25 feet from the fire cause they smelled all the cooked meat. that same night we had a coyote on the porch of the cabin and when one of us got up he jumped off and ran for it. but again i've yet to see bobcat, would be nice to see though.

Last edited by huntard; 09-18-2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Some high class dogs right there!!!prefer cooked over fresh!!But your thinking outside the box(I LIKE IT).I have never heard of trying that.I would be very interested to see how it works.Let us know.I wouldn't want to tie on too much of a buzz,I'd be worried that the Yotes' would hear what I was thinkin' LoL Glad you liked the link. U on there?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Spike

yeah, that link is amazing. so much information. i'm going to use it all. when spotlighting them do you leave the light on, or should i pop it on when i think theyre near, or when i know exactly where theyre standing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.