Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.
View Poll Results: Which?
Marlin 22LR Semi-Automatic
46.67%
Savage Long Rifle
24.44%
12 gauge shotgun
28.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Shot gun, or .22 for small game.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Although......It is addicting. Be for-warned.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't by a charles daily. They are going out of business so Their warranty and service work might be hard to get done if something does go wrong with your gun...
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Spike

i've been hunting rabbits for YEARS and i suggest shotgun with field shot, or even dove shot.

small game moves quick, and since it seems that you're new to small game hunting you need to be super quick at times and your best bet then is a shotgun. you can find a used single shot 12ga for 75 bucks. my first shotgun was just that a savage single shot 12ga and it works like a charm for fast movers. i've killed squirrels, hundreds of birds/rabbits, you name it. definately one of the best buys.

but then again if you're lookin for more of a challenge i use my savage bolt action .22lr with a scope.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

In my opinion both have pros and cons but in most scenerios a shotgun is worth a lot.
You open up your options with quick shots at fleeting game when otherwise you would have just stared and watched the rabbit or whatever you were hunting vanish.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by shoot'emdead
I went to Gander today, and checked out a few guns. I saw the Savage, and the Marlin, I liked the Savage better I think. Pretty light gun. Didn't seen any shot guns in my price range though.
never buy a gun from gander mountain, or any chain stores like that, their guns are way over priced, especially there used ones.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

i use a singleshot 12 guage for rabbit squirell and birds and best of all you can get a new h&r for 100 dallars NEW out the door at wall mart
Old 08-30-2013, 07:12 PM
Spike

im gonna put in my 2 cents.

I recenently bought a new mossberg 500 20 guage youth model and it came with 3 chokes and 2 barrel. one rifled one smooth. I got the youth model for the compactness. love this gun. paid 350 $.

now I am going to try dove hunting sunday with it but for rabbits and squirrels ill use my marlin model 60 .22. I feel I am a good enough shot to where the .22 is sufficiant.

what ever you choose just have fun and be safe.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ILhunter59
never buy a gun from gander mountain, or any chain stores like that, their guns are way over priced, especially there used ones.

completely agree. I like Fin, Feather, and Fur myself. they are the cheaper of the option here in northeast ohio
Old 09-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Spike

I got Marlin 22LR Semi-Automatic and I have no worries.