HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Getting into small game hunting.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/327410-getting-into-small-game-hunting.html)

shoot'emdead 08-10-2010 09:08 AM

Getting into small game hunting..

Hey y'all, new to the forum here.

I'm trying to get into small game hunting. Rabbits and squirrels mainly. I've already watch a few videos and read up about it. Here in Fl, we have a year-round rabbit season, so I can get started hunting ASAP.

I don't wanna start off getting real expensive guns and stuff (am I sounding newb enough yet, lol). Because of price, I'd like to get a high fps air rifle. I'm looking at a Remington Vantage 1200 .177 cal. pellet rifle. Hopefully it'll have enough power to it to take down small game. Pellets would be Predator Polymag Polymer Tip Pellets. They've got good reviews and seem like they'd take 'em down with little difficulty.

I'd like to get everything I'd need for under 220 if that's possible. All my camo, knifes, vests, gloves and what ever else I need. I'm definitely open to suggestions on what I'd need, just try to get the price and everything at bare minimum. :)

Thanks for any help, can't wait to get started!

Okik 08-10-2010 09:55 AM

Funny you should post this. I mainly shoot a bow and I'm planning on seeing if I can take some small game with it this year.

However, I have been thinking of picking up a decent air-rifle too, so I'm interested to see what people say. (I was also hesitant to post up anything about air rifles here, but hey, you took that hit for me lol).

The Vantage isn't it bad. My buddy has one and I've shot it a couple times and he uses it regularly to rid his bird feeders of squirrels and chipmunks.

OhioBowhunter 08-10-2010 10:07 AM

check into the gamo pba i think they are called, pellets, ive shot tons of stuff with my little pump remington

triggertadpole 08-10-2010 10:53 AM

i would invest in a .22 or a shotgun so u can reach out there a little far there

shoot'emdead 08-10-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by StormDogOutdoors (Post 3660985)
check into the gamo pba i think they are called, pellets, ive shot tons of stuff with my little pump remington

I checked into the Gamo PBA, they sound like good pellets. 25% increased Velocity sounds pretty good! :cool2: Would definitely help shoot 'em bead! ;) The shape is kinda weird though, not to pointed.. not sure how the penetration would be compared to the polymer pellets.

critterkiller88 08-11-2010 03:15 AM

Pbas are fast but not very accurate. With pellet guns you have to shoot the exact same ammo everotume because the small weight difference will give u different accuracy. I'd get a 22. That's what I use I've got 10 squirrels this season from 40 to 75 yards. I shoot a river 10/22 with a Simmons 3-9x40. Works excellent

shoot'emdead 08-11-2010 04:52 AM

OK guys, I looked at .22's. I found a cheep one for from remington - Ram - Line Syn - Tech. Kinda worried about the quality of it because it's so cheap.

critterkiller88 08-11-2010 10:30 AM

Get a savage. I got the cheapest mark II and it'll shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Bout 130 bucks

ilyotehunter 08-11-2010 11:59 AM

ive killed squirrels out to 40 yards with my rws .177 pellet gun. if you go with a .22 savage is the best bang for the buck in my opinion

13pointjomc 08-11-2010 02:34 PM

Marlin Model 60. Nuff Said.