Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Getting into small game hunting..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Spike

Default Getting into small game hunting..

Hey y'all, new to the forum here.

I'm trying to get into small game hunting. Rabbits and squirrels mainly. I've already watch a few videos and read up about it. Here in Fl, we have a year-round rabbit season, so I can get started hunting ASAP.

I don't wanna start off getting real expensive guns and stuff (am I sounding newb enough yet, lol). Because of price, I'd like to get a high fps air rifle. I'm looking at a Remington Vantage 1200 .177 cal. pellet rifle. Hopefully it'll have enough power to it to take down small game. Pellets would be Predator Polymag Polymer Tip Pellets. They've got good reviews and seem like they'd take 'em down with little difficulty.

I'd like to get everything I'd need for under 220 if that's possible. All my camo, knifes, vests, gloves and what ever else I need. I'm definitely open to suggestions on what I'd need, just try to get the price and everything at bare minimum.

Thanks for any help, can't wait to get started!

Last edited by shoot'emdead; 08-10-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Spike

Funny you should post this. I mainly shoot a bow and I'm planning on seeing if I can take some small game with it this year.

However, I have been thinking of picking up a decent air-rifle too, so I'm interested to see what people say. (I was also hesitant to post up anything about air rifles here, but hey, you took that hit for me lol).

The Vantage isn't it bad. My buddy has one and I've shot it a couple times and he uses it regularly to rid his bird feeders of squirrels and chipmunks.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

check into the gamo pba i think they are called, pellets, ive shot tons of stuff with my little pump remington
Old 08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Spike

i would invest in a .22 or a shotgun so u can reach out there a little far there
Old 08-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by StormDogOutdoors
check into the gamo pba i think they are called, pellets, ive shot tons of stuff with my little pump remington
I checked into the Gamo PBA, they sound like good pellets. 25% increased Velocity sounds pretty good! Would definitely help shoot 'em bead! The shape is kinda weird though, not to pointed.. not sure how the penetration would be compared to the polymer pellets.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Spike

Pbas are fast but not very accurate. With pellet guns you have to shoot the exact same ammo everotume because the small weight difference will give u different accuracy. I'd get a 22. That's what I use I've got 10 squirrels this season from 40 to 75 yards. I shoot a river 10/22 with a Simmons 3-9x40. Works excellent
Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 AM
Spike

OK guys, I looked at .22's. I found a cheep one for from remington - Ram - Line Syn - Tech. Kinda worried about the quality of it because it's so cheap.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

Get a savage. I got the cheapest mark II and it'll shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Bout 130 bucks
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

ive killed squirrels out to 40 yards with my rws .177 pellet gun. if you go with a .22 savage is the best bang for the buck in my opinion
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin Model 60. Nuff Said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.