Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Hunting Tips & Tricks.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a very common Action squirrels do... Using Small rocks is a good idea. Ive tried sticks before ,but small rocks is a good idea as you can keep them in a pouch or ? Theres not always good sticks around GREAT TIP !
Old 10-20-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Some times squirrels will go into a hollow tree, or a hole.
If this happens.
Carry a small round mirror about 4 inches or so.
And on a sunny day reflect the sun into the hole, then get ready to shoot because the squirrel will run out fighting mad.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

ive seen squirrels run into hollow trees alot... Ill have to try that tip aswell. cause ive sat for a long time waitnig to see when they come back out...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Spike

Default Smoke em out

I've walked through the public woods squirrel hunting and have seen old smoke bombs, the kind that you buy at a firework stand. From what I've gathered if a squirrel runs in a hole they light the smokebombs and put it in the hole. Then the squirrel gets ran out of the hole.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redkid
I've walked through the public woods squirrel hunting and have seen old smoke bombs, the kind that you buy at a firework stand. From what I've gathered if a squirrel runs in a hole they light the smokebombs and put it in the hole. Then the squirrel gets ran out of the hole.

Bad Bad idea.
It could start a fire, and turn into a Forrest fire.
It isn't worth it.
Read the other tips in here.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Spike

You need to be quiet so you can hear limbs shaking or squirrels barking. Have your gun in a comfotable and ready position to shoot. When you do shoot make sure you take your time unless he's going out of range then you may wanna bust of a shot. I like squirrel hunting because you dont have to drench down in camo. When I go out I wear a camo cap camo shirt and blue jeanswith some boots usually.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 AM
Spike

squirrels are easy and really good training for young hunters that are going to deer hunt. teaches patience with quicker rewards than deer hunting. one loud movement like a cough could ruin a deer hunt if it is done at the wrong time but the same cough and five to thirty min later and there will be squirrels back out unaware that you just let them know where you are sitting. if you bait for deer with corn the little thieves steal off of your bait pile, so if you find a good spot to sit on the edge of the woods and a cornfield you should see some sneaking back with ears of corn. really fun to hunt and a great way to start kids out. worked for me i started out hunting small game and now I'm hooked.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:42 AM
Spike

smoke bombs are illegal to hunt with btw. i wouldn't get caught with them
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Spike

Thanks for the tips. I have one that's a little different (and dangerous if done incorrectly) but has the possibility of tricking several more squirrels out of hiding. Try hunting in a pair. One hunter goes while the other waits. Later, as the second approached and the squirrels hide on the opposite side of the tree (away from the second hunter), the first hunter has a clear shot.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by squirrelgetter
Thanks for the tips. I have one that's a little different (and dangerous if done incorrectly) but has the possibility of tricking several more squirrels out of hiding. Try hunting in a pair. One hunter goes while the other waits. Later, as the second approached and the squirrels hide on the opposite side of the tree (away from the second hunter), the first hunter has a clear shot.
ive been using a similar technique the last couple of years myself, depending on how many people im hunting with. If you have 3 people and a small patch of woods, each of you can get in a corner and take turns still hunting. Another method i just stumbled into last year works good when you have a long stretch of timber, spread out and walk in a long strung out line, you dont have to really keep on pace with each other or keep in sight, but you will kick up a bunch of squirrels. These methods work great when you dont have a lot of time to hunt, like at the end of the day with sunlight starting to fade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.