Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon?

Old 07-02-2003, 12:14 AM

Default Coon?

Coon hunting started up yesterday..i dont know anything abot it, but i would like to learn. What kind of ammo is the best for coon? What do you do with it after you kill it? Im not taking that you eat it, so is it sorta like the groundhogs thing? They will also have day hunting coming up..i am very interested in that..whats the techique? Same with night hunting..what kinda dogs are the best?

Thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 07:14 PM

Default RE: Coon?

I' m not sure about your situation but I use a .22 Cal.
We hunt at night here and thats all were allowed to legally use after dark.
The best dogs for coons are the Black & Tan Hound, they are the best coon dog I have ever seen.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

you can call coons in like you would for yotes.go out early in the morning and later in the evening and use a coon call or a rabbit call. at night use the same calls and a spotlight with a blue or red lense.
as for the gun use 22lr or mag, or even the new 17hmr.

good luck

Old 07-03-2003, 09:48 AM

that is what we use for them dang coons .22lr [>:][8D]
Old 07-03-2003, 04:04 PM

i coon hunt in southern tennessee. walker hound is the best.i use 22 to shootem.night hunting is fun . i got some hounds that are stay put tree dogs. and not leave the tree intil i come and get them.. corn season is here you will see me around the corn fields hunting.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:46 PM

Hunter501,
Regarding your question about what to do with the coon after you kill it, their pelts are worth a few beans and believe it or not, I' ve heard of people eating them as well! (Then again, I' ve heard of people eating groundhogs and carp too!) I think I' d chew on the hide before I ate one, myself!!!

Jim
Old 07-03-2003, 10:57 PM

If you a huntin around a house and dont want to make alot of noise you could also use short cb caps..... scilent yet deadly when placed in the head. Another thing even with a .22lr you will need to takea head shot...not until you geta .22 mag or bigger should you take a chest shot unless yourr plan is to ht the backbone.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:51 AM

i use a 22 and sometimes i bring my 22 pistol just in case i empty my mag and have a fast shot, or in case of snakes, i live in florida where there are lots of cottonmouths.
the pelts are worth $ but I have no idea where you turn em in.
-hotgunner
Old 07-05-2003, 07:53 PM

I didnt think they would be good to eat..and eating groundhogs..whats left of them?[:-] and carp [X(]
Old 07-05-2003, 07:54 PM

short CB caps..im new to this kinda stuff..can you explain that more?
How loud would those be?
and how much do they cost?

Quick Reply: Coon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.