HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   rabbit dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/325246-rabbit-dogs.html)

jasonj772001 07-01-2010 08:56 AM

rabbit dogs

does anyone have any tips for getting young beagle pups to chase rabbits with no experience

Phil from Maine 07-01-2010 09:13 AM

Do you know anyone that hunts rabbits with beagles? If so talk to them about getting your pup out running with them. That is what some will do here when they are starting a pup out. They give them a few runs and then work on them some more so that they will get the hang of it.

jrbsr 07-02-2010 03:43 AM

My Grandfather, would tie a dog on one side of his house.
Then take a rabbit fur, and let the dog smell it good.
Then with a string tied to it, drag it around to the other side on his house.
And drag it around about 50 yards.
Then let the dog go, at the spot where he started dragging the rabbit fur.
He always had good rabbit dogs.

Hope this helps.

Pygmy 07-02-2010 02:21 PM

All you have to do is GET THEM AROUND rabbits...

As often as possible..

Thier instincts will do the rest...

The more time they spend running rabbits, the better they will be..

jasonj772001 07-03-2010 06:14 AM

Im sorry I voted for obama I wish I could take it back I did vote for bush and would of voted for his dad if I had been able to vote but after seeing what has went wrong with obama I have had a change of heart on politics. SO my apologies to you but thank for the rabbit tips.

genesis27:3 07-04-2010 11:07 AM

Basset hound - lab mix is the best rabbit dog on the planet. They are also amazing rabbit, squrrile, and coon dogs.

bush_pig 07-06-2010 05:35 PM

try to catch a rabbit then let it loose in the backyard and let him catch it.thats how alot of people do anyway.

Feistman 07-10-2010 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Pygmy (Post 3642048)
All you have to do is GET THEM AROUND rabbits...

As often as possible..

Thier instincts will do the rest...

The more time they spend running rabbits, the better they will be..

Best way to do it!

DTC 07-10-2010 04:48 PM

That's what they are bred to do. Take your dog to an area you see lots of rabbits. We start alot of young dogs in our city park. We keep them on a leash and walk them around until we see a rabbit. We take them to that spot and let them smell it. We let them smell several rabbits and then we take them to a spot where we can turn them out on a rabbit they can see. They will run it by sight at first and they will figure their nose out really quick. If you can find an older slow dog that works great too.

mehorn hunter 08-11-2010 05:49 AM

get a tame rabbit and let him chase it on the lawn