Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How big is a Big squirrel

Old 06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default How big is a Big squirrel

I shoot this squirrel the other day.
He's about 11 in from nose to the start of the tail. I think he's a big one but I dont know. What do you think?

Last edited by _zink_; 07-20-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:10 AM
Spike

tried to mount one earlier this season, didnt turn out so well but he looked like a pretty average squirrel and i still have my notes. he was 9 inches nose to base of the tail and 7.25 girth. sounds like yours is a good size if its a grey like mine. the fox squirells are a little bigger

cant see your pic
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by _zink_
I shoot this squirrel the other day.
He's about 11 in from nose to the start of the tail. I think he's a big one but I dont know. What do you think?
I can't see your pic.
Does it look like this?
To read more, ---> http://www.gpnc.org/fox.htm

Fox Squirrel

Photo by Bob Gress

Common Name:

Fox Squirrel
Scientific Name:
Sciurus niger
Favorite Hang-out:
Walnut trees

Only one species of tree squirrel makes a living on the Great Plains, and that is the Fox Squirrel. It is named for its rufous-colored fur. Its range covers the eastern half of the United States except New England. Introduced populations also exist in California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana.
In the eastern, more forested parts of the Great Plains, you may also find its cousin the Gray Squirrel, Sciurus carolinensis . Gray Squirrels are smaller and have white bellies, while Fox Squirrels have reddish-orange bellies. Fox Squirrels seem to be more comfortable with habitat where the trees are farther apart, and so are better adapted for the prairie. Squirrels are members of the highly successful rodent family, which includes members ranging in size from tiny mice to the South American Capabara, which is as big as a large dog.
All squirrels like nuts such as walnuts, acorns and pecans. When nuts are available, squirrels will busily harvest as many as they can and hide them by burying them in the ground. Later, when they are hungry, they will return and dig them up for a meal. They locate the nuts with their sense of smell. Many of the nuts are not found and this is a very significant source of new trees. After picking the spot, a hole is quickly dug with the front paws and the nut is poked into it. Then, with a motion that would remind you of someone working the shell game at a carnival, it will deftly cover up its prize. They are very good at this. Watch a squirrel bury a nut some time and then try to find it afterwards!
Nuts are not always available however, so squirrels will take a variety of other vegetative food such as buds, flowers and young leaves. Squirrels are also fond of the seeds found in the fruit of Osage Orange trees. Sometimes carnivorous, they will eat insects on occasion and rob eggs from bird nests as well!
Fox Squirrels weigh around 3 pounds. Their length from nose to tail is about 10 inches and the tail is about equally long. Colorwise, they all look the same on the Great Plains, but in other parts of its range the Fox Squirrel has some distinct variations.
A dark-headed and grey-backed version lives in the southeastern part of its range. A silvery-gray version may be found in the eastern part of its range.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

11" X 9" is a good sized one.
in india they get 12" plus a 24" tail. yes 3 feet long

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 06-29-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
thats insane...
Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Spike

You think a .243 could handle that? haha
Old 06-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

nall nothin smaller than a 30-06
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

if ya had a squirrel a 223 couldnt handle, dude just run like heck
Old 06-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Spike

if ya had a squirrel a 223 couldnt handle, dude just run like heck
By the sound of them thar' indian squirrels we should start running now...

~~RW
Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

Ide run from a 3 foot gray squirel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.