HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Need Help IDing this (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/324884-need-help-iding.html)

DocD 06-23-2010 05:39 PM

Need Help IDing this

Went out to the shed this morning and seen this on the ground,I had been out there earlier (about 2hrs) and it was not there.
I am not so concerned as to what kind of animal it is, I am more concerned as to what animal did it. I have seen a lot of kills by other animals and raptors, but this was the cleanest I have ever seen, not a blade of grass out of place, no fur other that a small piece about the size of a golf ball, The entrails are clean and what looks to me like a fetus is next to the gut pile, I am not that familay with squirrels, would they be pregnant now? I am very curious, what to you think???? Thanks Doc

JW 06-24-2010 04:06 AM

Looks like a rabbit IMO

JW

Sheridan 06-24-2010 08:36 AM

Thrown-up from local coyote, coon, fox, etc.......................???

Cleaned up by morning dew and animal that left it behind ??

Could be squirrel ??

DocD 06-24-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JW! (Post 3638782)
Looks like a rabbit IMO

JW

Originally Posted by Sheridan (Post 3638879)
Thrown-up from local coyote, coon, fox, etc.......................???

Cleaned up by morning dew and animal that left it behind ??

Could be squirrel ??

I kind of think it is a rabbit also, (although a squirrel is not out of the question) what really puzzles me is how clean everthing is!!! this area is surrounded by chain-link fence and all the gates were closed, so I don't think it was a fox or coyote, and I haven't seen a coon in quite a while. I had just been there an hour or so before the discovery.
Thanks for the input, I am going to consult an expert and will keep you all posted Doc

skb2706 06-24-2010 11:01 AM

My guess, based on hair color and several observations.

Aborted cotton tail and the mother licked clean everything as she would had it survived. No expert but it is what it is...........

Widgeonator 06-24-2010 11:57 AM

i don't even see a picture..

podunk kennels 06-24-2010 02:29 PM

Hunting buddy messing with you?

DocD 06-24-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by podunk kennels (Post 3638997)
Hunting buddy messing with you?

No, this is the real deal, I have friend who is somewhat of an expert on just about anything involving "Critters" I am going to get him to take a look at the pictures and see what he thinks. I have seen a lot of different animal kills and never one this clean, Thanks, Doc

tnpnt1 07-07-2010 05:56 AM

Definately looks like rabbit fur..

PREDATE 07-30-2010 08:09 AM

Not sure if there are any trees near the fence,but grey fox are known to climb.Also, if there are rabbits in there, a fox could get in just as easily.Opossum in there?Skunk in there?Weasel in there?Who knows but, I'd bet that bunny tasted great!:D