Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I keep catching porcupines!! errrrr!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default I keep catching porcupines!! errrrr!

I am sick of catchin Porcupines in my coyote-fox traps!
Are porcupines attracted to meat or somethin? How can I avoid catchin them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Porkys loooove plywood. Its like crack to them. But I doubt you are using plywood in your sets. Are you using meat on the bone for bait? Porkys will eat bone for calcium. They clean up all of my deer deer bones at camp.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Or instead of complaining you could find a usefull way to use the porkupines.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35
Or instead of complaining you could find a usefull way to use the porkupines.
Like what?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SaintHubert
Porkys loooove plywood. Its like crack to them. But I doubt you are using plywood in your sets. Are you using meat on the bone for bait? Porkys will eat bone for calcium. They clean up all of my deer deer bones at camp.
I am using squirrles for bait. Is that the prob?
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had a porcupine problem here at work a couple years ago and hired an ADC man to come in and trap them. He used salted apples for bait to catch them and placed the traps along walls because he said that porcupines have poor vision and will use things such as walls, chain link fence, etc. as a guide to get around and that they liked to follow the "edge" for guidence. SO maybe your sets are along an edge or on a well used trail that the porcupines use and need to get off the beaten path?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
We had a porcupine problem here at work a couple years ago and hired an ADC man to come in and trap them. He used salted apples for bait to catch them and placed the traps along walls because he said that porcupines have poor vision and will use things such as walls, chain link fence, etc. as a guide to get around and that they liked to follow the "edge" for guidence. SO maybe your sets are along an edge or on a well used trail that the porcupines use and need to get off the beaten path?
ok thanks! that makes sense.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Porcupine guard hair sells for $10 - $15 per OUNCE. (of course a porcupine only has about 3/4 ounce of guard hair on them)

Procupine quills sell for pretty good money also and even their claws are worth something. Their skulls bring decent money too.

Hope you haven't just been throwing them away, with a little work a porcupine probably is worth more than the coyotes and foxes you are trying to catch.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Are you using urine at the set as well? Any salt will attract them.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by genesis27:3
Like what?
Dunno mabye you could make a different kind of pillow called thee um lemme see the uh.....

I GOT IT

DRUMROLL....

THE POKEY PILLOWS
just think you will sweep the nation with these new pillows that fit with any home decor.
You will make MILLIONS

Ahhh if only i could persuade you of the economic possibilties of Pokey Pillows.
You could go into buisness and get a private airplane you could have your name on life magazine you would be the top topic on all talkshows..........
Okay time to wake up.
JK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.