Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I keep catching porcupines!! errrrr!

Old 05-10-2010, 03:24 PM
  #1  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
genesis27:3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 30 miles from park city UT on 1,500 acres.
Posts: 884
Default I keep catching porcupines!! errrrr!

I am sick of catchin Porcupines in my coyote-fox traps!
Are porcupines attracted to meat or somethin? How can I avoid catchin them? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
genesis27:3 is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 AM
  #2  
Fork Horn
 
SaintHubert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern NY, aka God's Country
Posts: 185
Default

Porkys loooove plywood. Its like crack to them. But I doubt you are using plywood in your sets. Are you using meat on the bone for bait? Porkys will eat bone for calcium. They clean up all of my deer deer bones at camp.
SaintHubert is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
  #3  
Fork Horn
 
2 Samuel 22:35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peoa, UT
Posts: 422
Default

Or instead of complaining you could find a usefull way to use the porkupines.
2 Samuel 22:35 is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:39 PM
  #4  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
genesis27:3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 30 miles from park city UT on 1,500 acres.
Posts: 884
Default

Originally Posted by 2 Samuel 22:35 View Post
Or instead of complaining you could find a usefull way to use the porkupines.
Like what?
genesis27:3 is offline  
Old 05-11-2010, 05:40 PM
  #5  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
genesis27:3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 30 miles from park city UT on 1,500 acres.
Posts: 884
Default

Originally Posted by SaintHubert View Post
Porkys loooove plywood. Its like crack to them. But I doubt you are using plywood in your sets. Are you using meat on the bone for bait? Porkys will eat bone for calcium. They clean up all of my deer deer bones at camp.
I am using squirrles for bait. Is that the prob?
genesis27:3 is offline  
Old 05-12-2010, 05:23 AM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
Howler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Elizabeth Colo. USA
Posts: 4,413
Default

We had a porcupine problem here at work a couple years ago and hired an ADC man to come in and trap them. He used salted apples for bait to catch them and placed the traps along walls because he said that porcupines have poor vision and will use things such as walls, chain link fence, etc. as a guide to get around and that they liked to follow the "edge" for guidence. SO maybe your sets are along an edge or on a well used trail that the porcupines use and need to get off the beaten path?
Howler is offline  
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
  #7  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
genesis27:3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: 30 miles from park city UT on 1,500 acres.
Posts: 884
Default

Originally Posted by Howler View Post
We had a porcupine problem here at work a couple years ago and hired an ADC man to come in and trap them. He used salted apples for bait to catch them and placed the traps along walls because he said that porcupines have poor vision and will use things such as walls, chain link fence, etc. as a guide to get around and that they liked to follow the "edge" for guidence. SO maybe your sets are along an edge or on a well used trail that the porcupines use and need to get off the beaten path?
ok thanks! that makes sense.
genesis27:3 is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
 
npaden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lubbock, Texas
Posts: 1,401
Default

Porcupine guard hair sells for $10 - $15 per OUNCE. (of course a porcupine only has about 3/4 ounce of guard hair on them)

Procupine quills sell for pretty good money also and even their claws are worth something. Their skulls bring decent money too.

Hope you haven't just been throwing them away, with a little work a porcupine probably is worth more than the coyotes and foxes you are trying to catch.
npaden is offline  
Old 05-14-2010, 07:57 PM
  #9  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 612
Default

Are you using urine at the set as well? Any salt will attract them.
wyomingtrapper is offline  
Old 05-23-2010, 02:55 PM
  #10  
Fork Horn
 
2 Samuel 22:35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peoa, UT
Posts: 422
Default

Originally Posted by genesis27:3 View Post
Like what?
Dunno mabye you could make a different kind of pillow called thee um lemme see the uh.....


I GOT IT


DRUMROLL....

THE POKEY PILLOWS
just think you will sweep the nation with these new pillows that fit with any home decor.
You will make MILLIONS

Ahhh if only i could persuade you of the economic possibilties of Pokey Pillows.
You could go into buisness and get a private airplane you could have your name on life magazine you would be the top topic on all talkshows..........
Okay time to wake up.
JK
2 Samuel 22:35 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.