Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trapping

Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default trapping

im 14 and im looking forward to start a trap line this comming season. i am only able to check the traps when im at my dads so ill set them every friday and check them saturday and sunday and close them sunday and repeat that every week. but back to the original topic. i was wondering what kind of traps work best. also any ways to make homemade traps that are cheap.

thanks
storm
Old 03-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

What are you planning on trapping? A really cheap homemade trap is a snare.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Typical Buck

id like to trap some racoons, mink muskrat fox and mabey coyotes

Last edited by OhioBowhunter; 03-07-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hope this helps;

http://www.minntrapprod.com/index.php

http://www.trapperman.com/

Good luck and have fun !
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

Get a few #110s for rats and mink a few 11/2 coil springs for fox and coons but

if you want to try snares try them they really work for me just find a trail where the target animal is going through regulary and set the snare

But i like footholds better because snares you only can use once and after awhile you got more in snares than you would with a couple of footholds

And the trapperman.com link above will help you alot join up there and ask a few questions
Old 03-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

thanks alot. i know our season dosnt start again until november but im always so busy im getting started asap. do you have any favorite baits you use or would any old meat or fish work fine?
Old 03-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Use the bait that matches your area - fish for lakes, rivers and streams; meats for landlocked areas (a lot of guys like to use lure/scent).
Old 03-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

try using sardines for coons and for fox and yotes use something with a louder smell or something differant ..

Buy some good lures and bait as well they will help you alot
Old 03-11-2010, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

also get a few books they have lure and bait recipes in them and other helpfull info.. to
Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

A trap set in the path of a noticable entrance or a exit, onto or off of a bank or hut - often with the use of lure.

When using a connibear submerse it at the edge of the bank (where you expect traffic) and use sticks to support it upright and to direct the beaver toward / into your set. Place your Castor lure; Recommend Dobbins "backbreaker" on the bank (recreate a Castor mound using some mud) near the waters edge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.