HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Dead coyote T shot not so good (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/318019-dead-coyote-t-shot-not-so-good.html)

bowfisherman 02-23-2010 09:46 AM

Dead coyote T shot not so good

Check this out. It's very brittle. I wouldn't want this hitting bone. Not sure if all the hevishot products are like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-EEY...=youtube_gdata

Pure Predator 02-23-2010 07:55 PM

Hummmmmm.....

I dont know a whole lot about the brittle ness of the Dead Coyote Loads... but I will attest to one thing..... The Kill... Bone or no bone... I have given full loads of Dead Coyote to the face of a few coyotes at varying distances.. and they all seem to do the big sleep....

Just my take on it...

Mike
Pure Predator Calls

Howler 02-24-2010 05:22 AM

Apples and oranges comparison. Way more force being applyed with those pliers, from two sides none the less, than when a pellet hits a bone from a fired shotgun shell.

bowfisherman 02-24-2010 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Howler (Post 3583036)
Apples and oranges comparison. Way more force being applyed with those pliers, from two sides none the less, than when a pellet hits a bone from a fired shotgun shell.

Wow are your wrong. They shattered and left gritty powder in a 10 lb red fox.

bowfisherman 02-24-2010 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pure Predator (Post 3582924)
I dont know a whole lot about the brittle ness of the Dead Coyote Loads... but I will attest to one thing..... The Kill... Bone or no bone... I have given full loads of Dead Coyote to the face of a few coyotes at varying distances.. and they all seem to do the big sleep....

Just my take on it...

Mike
Pure Predator Calls

just curious, how old are the shells you have. These shells are not the same as the last box I bought about 2 years ago.

Howler 02-24-2010 10:29 AM

Wow are your wrong. They shattered and left gritty powder in a 10 lb red fox.
Guess we'll have to take your word on that. Got pics. of those reds. with the "powdered" pellet residue? Why not mention the "fact" that you've seen them shatter, first hand, in your first post?

You do have me curious now though since I have some of the dead coyote T shot at the house. I will be opening the crimp on one to test the shot for myself.

Pure Predator 02-25-2010 06:58 AM

So there are pictures of a Fox with shattered pellets...

I personally have never been that conserned with it once the coyote is dead... but thats not to say this doesnt happen... But sounds like you have done alot more research and disection...

My question is... Since I assume you seen or even shot the fox...

Its reaction... Was the energy enough to do the damage or was there extra tracking.. cripple, etc.

I personally have never had any issues...

Mike

Josh Sorensen 02-25-2010 09:50 AM

I've dusted a few dogs with the dead coyote load, bang flops. I have shot alot of dogs with lead 2s and #4 buckshot and the dead coyote seemed to kill better than 2s and patterned better than #4 buck. I wouldn't hesetate to use it again.

Howler 02-28-2010 07:52 AM

Well, I opened one of my dead coyote T shot shells last night, and honestly was shocked at how little of pressure it took for the first pellet to basically shatter in my pliers, I was so surprised at how fragile the pellet was that I had to try another one, and it too fell apart amazingly easy.
SO, I'm now wondering just how many coyotes have lived another day because of this. I seriously do question how these pellets ever make it through any bone at all.

Red Hawk 03-01-2010 11:35 AM

Well based on that particular brand, regardless of the age. I wouldn't take those out in the field. No sense not getting ethical kill if you question the BB/Bullets you are using.