Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17hmr recomendations

Old 02-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same model as Ridge Runner and its a heck of a gun. For a hunting situation heavy barrel or no is really just preference. Its not a FACT that heavier barrels shoot better. You're going to shoot well with something you like. Savage and Marlin both make excellent bolt action rifles in the 17. The slight advantage is going to have to be given to the savage in my OPINION because of the accu-trigger system.

For squirrels and other small game the 17 is pretty much perfect. As for yotes, I personally prefer a larger rifle for them but if you must them I would make it a head shot.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Love my Marlin,its a true regular tack driver with any ammo I put through it..Its also a regular yote,fox and bobcat killer with the 20gr xtp bullet..If you put that little bullet where its supposed to go,then you will have a dead animal.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Yes its a fact, if 2 barrels are exactly the same quality and all else is the same the heavy barrel is stiffer, so therefore it will be more accurate.
RR
so take 2 of the same gun and the heavy barrel will always shoot better? Wrong. There's too many variables. There's tons of guns that are the same model except for the barrel and the lighter one shoots better. Same can be said the other way around because it's not the barrel. We"re talking about rimfire hunting rifles not match guns. Take any 2 identical 17 hmr's they will group different and most likely prefer different ammo. In theory your opinion sounds great but this is the real world.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 AM
Fork Horn

You just made my point.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

anyways...... i ended up getting a 93r17 f savage, i havent shot it yet, im waiting to get my scope! i went with this one because of the synthetic stock and the lighter barrel. i plan on lugging it with me alot and the idea of extra weight wasnt a good one, not to mention it drops the price! thanks again guys!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Ridge Runner,
You saying its a fact doesn't make it factual. You're theory seems valid even though I'm not really sure you understand the physics behind what you are saying but there is no way to prove you're opinion to be factual. To do prove scientificly, which is what it would take to make that a FACT, you would to eliminate ALL other variables in the rifle except for that of the weight of barrel. There may be evidence to support a theory but that doesn't make it a FACT. A FACT is something along the lines of Force=Mass*Acceleration or Many people in here mistake accuracy for precision when refering to how well a rifle shoots. You're statement is purely opinion because it cannot be proven to be factual beyond a doubt.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:26 PM
Spike

Love my savage heavy barrel. The local chuck population isn't too crazy about it. Hornady v-max ammo drops em like a brick.
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/phot...x5S8ZplTFGQ%3D

Last edited by Robert Dearborn; 02-27-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: adding pic
Old 02-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Typical Buck

then its not fact. As for your explanation of why, I think your blowin smoke but thats just my thought on the matter. Not tryin to further a pointless debate. Hope no feelings were hurt.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Spike

i have a brand new NEF .17 caliber. won it at a pheasants forever banquet. if anyone has shot one it would be great to know. If its sumtin the op would be interested in, you can have it pretty cheap.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

kweef, pm sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.