Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting Tips

Old 02-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Typical Buck

Default Coyote Hunting Tips

I'm from Iowa and live on a small farm out in the boonies. We have a big coyote problem and farmers have asked me if I could take somme out. I'm 16 and this year will be my first attempt at hunting them. They seem to be traveling on a frozen creek every night and hunting in timber. We have both crp and crop feilds on both sides of the timber and creek. I've been reading and I've noticed that a lot of people say go out right after a snow storm because the yotes will be moving. If this is true we are having a storm right now and would like to get out tomorrow if we don't have school. I plan on hunting with a 12 ga. and a 22 LR.... Does any one have any tips? I would appreciate all the information I can get.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Dont fool with the 22 load that 12 gauge up with number 1 buck or no 4s Do you have any calls?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

i have electronic calls.. and also changed one of my old goose calls to a rabbit distress call
Old 02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Follow the crick with tracks on it. Walk very slowly and quietly. You should find a drainage culvert, hopefully. If there is fresh tracks leading in, sit on the opposite bank and softly squeak like a mouse. They coyote(s) will hopefully stick its head(s) out. If they don't, amp up the calls. If they still won't come out, some people shine in and shoot them, which is illegal.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

If they arent very pressured you should have no problems with that e-caller, start quiet as you can the like nick says a lotta people blow the eardrums outta close in varmints when they start calling and believe me they are closer than you think
Old 03-03-2010, 09:09 AM
Spike

Well im starting to get into hunting coyotes here in wisconsin and being 16 as well its a great challenge. I use flextone predator calls which are soft flexable traditional mouth blown calls but if your gunna stick to electronics thats a great way to go too. As far as camo goes i try to sit and lean against a dark tree and have my gamo jacket on and a white bed sheet to cover my waist legs and boots. I wear a white face mask. For weapons i just use my Deer gun Tikka 30-06. And if your in the middle of an overgrown coyote population i wouldn't think you'd be too concerned about relishing that pelt. What gun(s) are you thinking of using?
Old 03-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Spike

Where in Iowa are you because i live in iowa too.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Spike

What's better guys hunting in a tree or on the ground w/ yotes?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nick_bleuer76 View Post
Follow the crick with tracks on it. Walk very slowly and quietly. You should find a drainage culvert, hopefully. If there is fresh tracks leading in, sit on the opposite bank and softly squeak like a mouse. They coyote(s) will hopefully stick its head(s) out. If they don't, amp up the calls. If they still won't come out, some people shine in and shoot them, which is illegal.
its not illegal in ohio. are u sure about that?
Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by coyoteslayingbeast View Post
Where in Iowa are you because i live in iowa too.
I'm up by Ames