Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Wolves in Idaho.. a must see

Old 01-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Spike

To me there wouldnt be a problem with the states or government if ppl would just keep there trap shut. If there hurting YOU significantly then take matters in your hands just dont run round braggin to everyone and there brother! Heck with feds, heck with the state. To me if something is a foul on MY property ill do as please but I also keep shut about what I do.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nomorewolves
and we do not have a problem with over population of turkeys, ducks, or rabbits.
I have a feeling you misread my last post. I was pretty much saying turkey,duck and rabbit hunters have no place to get uptight about hunting wolves. I do not want wolves in NY, and I think every hunter in the western states should get at least 1 wolf tag.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
Explain to me while Isle Royale National Park, an island in the middle of a lake with no escape for its captive moose population, has had wolves on it for decades yet there remains a very viable moose population?

You sensationalize the wolf issue, it's propoganda as bad as the greenies and does nothing but hurt legitimate efforts and rational efforts to try and lobby for hunting and control of wolf populations. Yes, they are a problem. Yes, they hurt game populations, ranchers, and pet owners. But devil incarnate they are not.

I have hunted and lived in areas with wolves.

"Isle Royale National Park, an island in the middle of a lake" where hunting is not permitted ,so MR.wolf takes care of business ..where i hunt we have 2 seperate packs of wolves and let me tell you the 4 legged poachers are doing a great job at butchering our moose ..but they only hunt moose in the winter because the lakes are frozzen over and they can't get at the beavers [beavers are they're main diet ] in the winter they don,t have a choice kill moose or starve to death ..we had a small deer population where we hunt moose the deer were wiped out completely in the winter of 2007 ..i found the bones in the winter deer yard and saw with my own eyes the damage they did ..

on ANTICOSTY island 125miles long by 25 miles wide we have the biggest deer population in north america ,we also are allowed 2 deer and the deer population never goes down ..THE REASON IS THAT WE HAVE NO WOLVES ON THE ISLAND ...
Old 01-25-2010, 01:11 PM
Spike

I don't have a problem in general with re-introduction of wolves into areas where they used to populate, but I do have a problem with what it represents and how it is done.

If the wolves were reasonably managed and hunted to keep their populations in check, then it would be fine. In this case, however, it represents an advancing front by the tree-hugging anti-hunting groups. As a result, it will likely bring overpopulation of wolves, game management, and livestock issues.

Bottom line - let them come if they can be liberally hunted. Don't bring them back if they will be over protected.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

I don't have a problem with a moderate number of wolves if they are allowed to be hunted. My problem is that they are over protected. There was a bunch of complaining around here about 10 years ago about the rising grizzly population, people fearing that they would kill all the game and livestock, those people don't complain about grizzlies any more, they complain about the wolves now. We still can't hunt grizzlies, but there are more grizzlies around here than wolves.

I kicked myself this fall when I was elk hunting, saw a real nice black wolf but I didn't have a tag. I thought that it wasn't worth the $17 because I probably wouldn't see one, I hate being wrong.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57
"Isle Royale National Park, an island in the middle of a lake" where hunting is not permitted ,so MR.wolf takes care of business ..where i hunt we have 2 seperate packs of wolves and let me tell you the 4 legged poachers are doing a great job at butchering our moose ..but they only hunt moose in the winter because the lakes are frozzen over and they can't get at the beavers [beavers are they're main diet ] in the winter they don,t have a choice kill moose or starve to death ..we had a small deer population where we hunt moose the deer were wiped out completely in the winter of 2007 ..i found the bones in the winter deer yard and saw with my own eyes the damage they did ..

on ANTICOSTY island 125miles long by 25 miles wide we have the biggest deer population in north america ,we also are allowed 2 deer and the deer population never goes down ..THE REASON IS THAT WE HAVE NO WOLVES ON THE ISLAND ...

My point was that the wolf is being characterized as this insatiable killer who will obliterate every game population within reach. This is clearly not true as I pointed out an island where both the wolves and moose are, for all intensive purposes, imprisoned, yet the moose seem to do just fine. And these are the same Canadian timerwolves reintroduced out West. In other words, the brand put on the wolves by the anti-wolfers is almost as overblown as the cutesy brand put on them by the greenies.

If every hunter had a wolf tag you'd see pretty decent numbers taken. IMHO MT makes a mistake by charging non-residents $200+ for a tag, I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket (which is what a wolf tag is) for that but for $15-25 like a resident I'd sure have one and take an opportunity to help out.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

[QUOTE=spaniel;3562928]My point was that the wolf is being characterized as this insatiable killer who will obliterate every game population within reach. This is clearly not true as I pointed out an island where both the wolves and moose are, for all intensive purposes, imprisoned, yet the moose seem to do just fine. And these are the same Canadian timerwolves reintroduced out West. In other words, the brand put on the wolves by the anti-wolfers is almost as overblown as the cutesy brand put on them by the greenies.QUOTE]

I am by no means a "Greenie" in this sense, but people that are anti wolf, imo, CAN go a touch overboard, SOMETIMES. The farmers/animal owners have real problems with cattle/pets being killed, thats totally cool. Those that just want to sound off, i dont know. If you have a genuine reason, thats totally understandable.
But then again, ya know what? I can't talk. I don't know for real. So i am leaving this post. Good luck. Wolves could be good and bad.
I have no idea. Please fill me in. I am not trying to be sarcastic, i am absolutly serious. What are they doing??? Thanks for the info
BigBuck95
Old 01-26-2010, 04:38 AM
Typical Buck

our moose population has gone down ..in the spring the black bears kill and eat the calfs ..in the winter the wolves take they're share also ..what i want to state is if the predators are OVERPOPULATED than the moose population will normaly drop ..i can shoot all the wolves that i see[ with my small game licence $ 17.00] no limit up here in northern quebec .they are also trapped by profesional trappers and still they're population is on the rise ..

way up north were we caribou hunt we have thousands of caribou and not enough hunters .there the wolves keep the herd HEALTHY ..so all in all the wolfs have they're place in nature ..

bottom line is ..wolfs have to be controlled were hunters hunt. ..
Old 01-26-2010, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by heinz57

bottom line is ..wolfs have to be controlled were hunters hunt. ..
Seems like common sense to me...too bad common sense isn't so common...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by toyota4x4
To me there wouldnt be a problem with the states or government if ppl would just keep there trap shut. If there hurting YOU significantly then take matters in your hands just dont run round braggin to everyone and there brother! Heck with feds, heck with the state. To me if something is a foul on MY property ill do as please but I also keep shut about what I do.
LOL! Many are way ahead of you there. They're the Wolf Militia. SSS.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.