Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrels in the snow???

Old 12-31-2009, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Squirrels in the snow???

This winter, I have decided that I am going to hunt squirrels with my bow when I can. At what point do they "hibernate" or do they not? Is hunting in the snow a good or bad idea?? HELP PLZ.
BigBuck95
Old 12-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

I see squirrels all winter in wisconsin and our season ends the end of february. I have shot them right until the end of season. I usually only see them on nice warm days when the suns out, so my theory is (this is my theory not science) that they are not as active in winter but on warm days they "make hay while the sun shines" so to speak. I say get after them and let us know how it goes!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default i dont think they do...

I might be wrong... but I dont think they do... I have hunted them all season long myself...

Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

If you can find a standing cornfield they will be there in bunches. Here in Va with the way the weather has been, a lot of farmers havent been able to get in their crops. Went deer hunting this morning, and I bet I saw about 50 in a 200 yard stretch along the river, which still has about a foot of snow on the ground.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went deer hunt n last year,seen 2 or 3 squirrels,snow didnt bother um nun.We had about 1'',it dont snow much down here!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

What kind of arrow and tips would you use for that? Sounds interesting, but seems it could have a high potential for lost or damaged arrows. At least for me!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by FLBandit
What kind of arrow and tips would you use for that? Sounds interesting, but seems it could have a high potential for lost or damaged arrows. At least for me!
I will either use Flu-Flu's with a judo point or a regular arrow with a field tip. If you want to work on your shot, take some of the flat ended bird ends and shoot at birds.
BigBuck95
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Spike

Like my choice in firearms, my field gear during the snow season is little different from what I carry in September. A U.S. military compartmentalized pouch in olive drab serves as my shoulder bag. In it, I carry ammunition, extra gloves, Heatmax chemical handwarmers, a small thermos of hot chocolate, toilet paper, and my cell phone. There’s room in there, too, for three or four squirrels. I do wear whites in the snow—pure white slip-over britches, and a lightweight zippered snow-camo jacket that fits overtop my heavier wool coat. A warm neck gaiter, and a blaze orange skull cap, squirrels pay no attention to it and I welcome the safety aspect, round out my clothing. Oh, and a seat cushion. I hate a cold butt! The Tactics
Old 01-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

no they dont hibernate they constantly look for even in the winter they are just not as out as often as they are in fall
Old 01-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Bitter cold, windy weather will keep squirrels in their tree den for a short period, but when their stored nuts run out theyneed to find more. Snow doesn't bother squirrels, if you look around you'll see tracks all over in the snow where they are active, also holes where they dig down through the snow to find nuts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.