Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Shot-gunning for coyotes. Ammo selection. >

Shot-gunning for coyotes. Ammo selection.

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot-gunning for coyotes. Ammo selection.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot-gunning for coyotes. Ammo selection.

While looking for coyotes, or road hunting, I usually only use a shotgun. Using a rifle can be dangerous. I have used turkey-load and turkey choke with great success. This winter I am going to switch to Buckshot. I bought 2 boxes of 12 ga, 3" 00 Buck (15 pellets). I am not very familiar with buck shot. Did I make a good choice? What is the max effective range, 50 yards?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

12 gauge 3" OO buck shot will definately do the trick, however you are going to need a sewing kit if you were thinking about selling the pelts.

Why not use a rifle for the "open country" shots ?
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

4buck does the trick. NOT 4 shot 4buck dont get those confused
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
12 gauge 3" OO buck shot will definately do the trick, however you are going to need a sewing kit if you were thinking about selling the pelts.

Why not use a rifle for the "open country" shots ?
I do carry my AR-15 in my truck, but I am road hunting. Some people get pretty bitter about shooting a rifle from the road. Which, is illegal. Usually, when road hunting, I will go into the field before I shoot, making it legal. We can shoot shotgun from across public roads as long as it is not a slug. So, I must use pellets. BTW, I don't keep the furs. We have an over population of coyotes. Kill a cat or coyote, save uncountable amounts of pheasants, turkeys, and deer. They are worth like $5 anyways. I was just wondering if there was a better pellet size/choke combo.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

nick,
I think they get upset about shooting from the road because in some states it is illegal. But I do just about the same thing, ya kill more if you have the guns with you at all times.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
nick,
I think they get upset about shooting from the road because in some states it is illegal. But I do just about the same thing, ya kill more if you have the guns with you at all times.
Yeah, I realize that. That is why I rock it with a shotgun.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Spike

I'll second the #4 buck. If it is legal where you hunt it is a devastating load. 00 B will work, but with less effective range and more pelt damage.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest problem with 00 buck is at longer range there are more holes between pellets, and will result in fewer hits. IMO, 4 buck is the better choice.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Shot Gun Coyotes

This year I have gone strictly shotgun... Think Im crazy... yep... I have drastically cut my trigger time.. but the sense of accomplishment I get, makes it worth it...

I shot this guy the other evening right before dark at 68 yards, checked with a Laser Range finder, with 2 3/4" Estate 4 buck, 27 pellets... and a Kicks Howler Choke Tube... It is what patterns best for me... at 40 yards, I can put all 27 in a 30" circle...

Now 68 yards I normally dont like, anything over 40 I have never tested... but he was about to cut my wind, and it was now or never... like Bob Seger says, "Know when to hold them, and when to try the hail marry...."

Howler, you have to show me how to run the contest for next year... I have really missed the friends I have met on here... #40 how have you been doing..

Take care guys and be safe,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Shot-gunning for coyotes. Ammo selection.-old-school.jpg  
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

12 gauge...3 and 1/2 in...Copper Plated BBs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.