Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
My son and I want to hunt Coyotes, looking for info about getting started? >

My son and I want to hunt Coyotes, looking for info about getting started?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

My son and I want to hunt Coyotes, looking for info about getting started?

Old 12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default My son and I want to hunt Coyotes, looking for info about getting started?

My 8 year old son and I want to start hunting Coyotes when deer season is over. We have never hunted them before. We're on an EXTREME budget. Basically all we have are the firearms to do it. We have a Remington 700 223 Rem. that's amazingly accurate. We also have a few different shotguns. We'd prefer to hunt them during the day with our rifle instead of at night with a shotgun.

Like I said, we don't have to much money to spend on equipment and gear. What do we "NEED TO HAVE" to get started? We're in Central New York if that matters.

Thanks, NYH!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Spike

Hey New York Hunter,

The nice thing about coyote hunting is that you can make it as cheap or expensive as you want. When I first started I just picked up a real cheap cottontail in distress hand call and I had great success with it. You don’t need to get crazy with buying electronic callers at this point. It sounds like you have a great gun to get started with and should need much more then some camo and a mouth call. Its a real art calling in yotes and once you call in your first....you will be hooked. A good way to get some extra cash to spend on yote hunting is to sell the pelts that are in good shape. If you can learn how to skin and dry the hide you will be set. I wish you and your son the best of luck and don’t forget to shoot straight!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Set-up down wind in cover near where trails come into water.

Pattern turkeys and use that as guideline.

If cattle in area visit during birthing periods.

#1) trails should have tracks and droppings.
#2) Shotgun with #2's or #4's full/turkey choke or rifle if possible.
#3) full camo head to toe (being still is the BEST camo - chairs help).
#4) use whatever decoys and calls you have (they eat everything).
#5) As a beginner call soft and spairingly.
#6) Use bino's from an elevated position

Watch at first, then get aggressive and change your set-up closer to where you have been seeing them.

Good luck and post some pictures.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

the 223 is my favorite predator caliber. i also hunt for fur tho. but if theres too of you i like to have one with a rifle one with a shotgun for close encounters. use 4 buck with a full choke. if your looking for calls look into the johnny stewart series. im heavily set on those calls. best ive ever used. good luck. pm me if you have ?'s maybe i culd help
Old 12-08-2009, 06:47 AM
Spike

I wouldn't rule out a shotgun for daytime hunting. They can be particularly useful in areas with heavy, low cover where the coyotes can approach unseen and come out of the brush and be right on top of you before they see you. It can be difficult to swing a rifle in these situations, so having a shotgun across your lap and the rifle leaning on a bipod is a good way to cover all the bases.

Also, given the boy is hunting with you, put a sling on the shotgun and let him help carry the gear (with the gun empty, obviously). Nothing makes a young kid more proud and involved than getting to carry a gun even if it's empty and it's good chance to teach handling skills where there are no distractions.

Grouse
Old 12-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

try a wabbit in distress call to start off...sit real still...i watched 4 yotes watchin my friend with the wabbit in distress call...they looked at him and could see him moving, they were only 40 yards from him, but he couldnt see them...i radioed him to let him know, but they were leavin already..he never saw them..he said his chair sunk in the sand and he was tryin to fix it at the time is why we guessed they saw him.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

Where are you in NY? I'm having a seminar on December 19th at the Gander Mt. in Henrietta
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Dont forget a fawn distress call in the late winter time or even in the summer time (if you can hunt them then).
Old 02-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Here's ALL the info you need. learned everything i ever needed to be a very successful coyote hunter from this website

http://varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.