Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got this Bobcat Saturday

Old 11-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got this Bobcat Saturday

Had two deer blow for about five minutes in front of me yesterday. I knew they didn't smell me because they were upwind of me. I didn't know what they were blowing at. This guy stepped out on the line about 200 yards out. I then knew what the deer were blowing at. We are allowed to take one Bobcat during firearms season down here.
Attached Thumbnails Got this Bobcat Saturday-100_1215.jpg   Got this Bobcat Saturday-100_1222.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice cat!I killed 1 last year while i was deer huntin.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Spike

thats a very beautiful cat. Looks to be spotted up very well. Congrats. Hope you get that tanned at the very least, a mount would be worthy if the cash is available.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good goin !

What did you use and how much pelt damage ?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

those pelts make good hangers on the wall, better than a pic...looks young and was it a male? i cant remember which way is which, but i think the boys have a fatter foot if you will..hard to tell from here
Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was a male cat. This is the fourth one I have taken on my property in the past five years, all males. I saw one cross the line last year that was huge. It was the largest cat I've ever seen around here. I couldn't get a shot at him.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

the females are alot smarter, and if ya got that many males, then there are alot of females round there too..did all the males seem to be same age? maybe it coulda been a single litter
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This cat was a little smaller than the previous ones. The largest weighed 24 pounds. I didn't weigh this one, but he wasn't that big. There a lot of cats in the area now. It didn't used to be that way. Up until about 6 or 7 years ago, I may have only seen one or two. It's also ironic that the turkey numbers have gone way down in that same time period. I really believe most of that is due to clearcutting in the area and not predatation. Cats probably take a small percentage of turkeys, and those are mainly poults. Coons and crows are probably a lot worse on eggs and chicks, before they can fly, than cats.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the bobcat.. I have seen quite a few up this way.. Sometimes hunting birds with one of my dogs.. They will come out farther down the road and just set there and watch me.. We can not shoot them until around mid December or something like that.. I would have to check the rules to be sure though.. But then again once the season opens you can shoot as many as you want to..