Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What am i doing wrong???

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question What am i doing wrong???

Ok,i have 6 traps set out on about 200 acres,im using dirt hole set,using squirrel cut in pieces for bait,and using red fox urine.Ive caught 4 Possums & 3 Coons since the 17th.Icant seem to catch a fox,coyote,or bobcat,I know there are coyotes and bobcat there because i ve killed 1 of each while deer hunting,and i know there has been fox caught there about 20 years ago,(but the man who trapped it passed away in February so i dont know how he caught um.)Its been a year since ive seen a coyote or bobcat,ive never seen a fox.Im trapping around creeks and old logging roads,so why am i not catching fox,coyote,and bobcats????HELP!!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

hard to say without seeing the set and knowing the area. could be scent you are leaving, the bait, you have any pics of your sets? try rabbit instead of squirrel. any tracks in your sets? around the area ?
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I have never had any luck with squirrel as bait. Seems like every grinner around can find it. Urine on a dirt hole usually means it has been robbed. I am not saying you won't catch one on it. Also mix your sets up, don't use the same bait on all 6. Keep track of each set and see what works best. Sometimes you just have to be creative. You might want to switch to some gland lure instead. Be careful with your scent too. Good luck!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im putting red fox urine on the backing,i havent seen any tracks.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

use chicken instead of squirrel
Old 11-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

How bout chicken livers?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

We always used small peices of fried chicken in the dirt hole sets and then sprayed some urine down the hole. If we got into too many possums and skunks, we would quit using bait and stayed strictly with urine and that pretty much eliminated the unwanted critters. I would make some new sets and clean up the traps that have already caught some of those critters. Be really careful with YOUR scent, even when checking the sets. In a weeks time you should at least be seeing foot prints in your screened dirt to show that they are visiting. If not, you may need to move your sets to more "foxy" areas.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is there even fox in NE Alabama,Ive never seen 1,or seen any tracks????
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 13pointjomc
Is there even fox in NE Alabama,Ive never seen 1,or seen any tracks????

plenty of them in my area, i would also advise on watching the scent your (human) laying down...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

find a buddy or sumthin that has chickens and try to get a rooster off of em. cut em up use em for bait. or deer ribs. they work good. and for lure try paul dobbins lure or minnesota trappers products. theyve got lots of lure. my personal favorite is gusto, fox urine, and bobcat gland. give em a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.