Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

ARGH! Those Pesky Squirrels!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ilyotehunter
be patient
Okay. I will.

I'm going out tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:27 AM
Typical Buck

Can you tell us what a typical hunt for you is? Just walk me though it. The thing is they're tough to hunt, thats just a given. Its your first year so you've just began to learn what to do. Remember that slow movements are key because at this stage in the game there are few to no leaves left on the trees so they'll be more apt to see you coming. Get to your spot and wait. If squirrels are in the area then you will move often than not get your shot after sitting for a while. Be patient. Stay with your 22lr(try for a shorter shot). Its quieter and from what you are saying on ranges it or a 17hmr is the way to go. If you have access to a 17 that would be the way I would go if 70 yards is really your average shot.

One other thing I can suggest to you is on practicing you're shots. Now bear in mind I have no clue how and if you practice. I would definately zero in at around 35 or 40 yards. I'd then see how the gun hits at around 15-20 yards and then also at 60-70 yards. You'll learn how you need to adjust. I'm hoping that when you practice shooting that you are not just shooting at a paper target nailed or taped to a board. If you are then I suggest taking 2 or 3 of 20oz coke (or some other bottle with a label that you can clearly see). the trick is to shoot the label of a bottle and readjust on the next bottle as quickly as possible shoot and continue as fast as you can accurately shoot. The point is to teach you to look for the impact if you miss and adjust your aiming. I've shot competition in rifle, pistol, and shotgun time trials and this is the best way I've learned to practice.

Lastly, you're obviously picking and choosing your shots as any good hunter should do but you may be choosing to cautious of shots. Many times from the ranges you're describing you can shoot and if you do miss the squirrel will not realize where you are and will look right away for something out of the ordinary orrun off and comeback in the next few minutes to scope things out and find out what the heck just happened. So when you do miss stay still and wait for that other shot. If you are moving around he will see you and he will bolt.

On the topic of using a 16 or 20 or 12 gauge shotgun, they're great at the right time of the season. In the early part of the season when the leaves will break up your outline and you can get close they're great. But they're noisy as all heck and will scare other squirrels out of the area.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I generally stillhunt them with an open sight .22. I find that success is most likely when I do it just like I would stillhunting a deer--inching through the woods and absolutely utilizing cover (stay close to it and try to keep it between you and the game). I don't move more than a couple of feet every minute or so.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Let me just say that I've shot and killed two squirrels on my own with out the boy. My first with a 20 gauge and the second with the Marlin 22 LR. I don't have a 17 or I'd try with that!

So this is what I typically do. I like to get in the woods before the sun comes up #1, find <my> a spot and sit there as quietly and still as can be and wait for them. I can sit in one spot for hours but sometimes, I can hear them up over the hill <where I also hunt> running through the leaves and they won't come down so I have to go to them, ofcourse as quietly as I can. Sometimes, I'll see one anywhere from 20 ft away up to 70 yards and try for it with the scoped 22. When I saw the squirrels at a distance, they have more than not been jumping tree to tree so I guess I'm basically trying for a running squirrel but sometimes they do stop while I have the scope on them and then they move before I can get the shot off hence missing them! If they don't stop, I usually don't bother with the shot cuz I know I'll miss the buggar! I'd rather not shoot it than actually shoot and maim it without killing it!

I suggest taking 2 or 3 of 20oz coke (or some other bottle with a label that you can clearly see). the trick is to shoot the label of a bottle and readjust on the next bottle as quickly as possible shoot and continue as fast as you can accurately shoot.

I will have to just do that then. I feel like I'm a good shot but obviously, I can always do better and should be practicing!

I agree that a shotgun is rather loud though and would make my day out there even longer since they'll hide from the blast.

When I saw the squirrels I was after the last time I hunted them, it was far but didn't seem like a long shot at the time. In this instance, I got up and quietly went towards them, sneaking up on trees for cover, between it and me, waiting for another shot, either attempting it or moving closer, all the while having it still run up and down the trees ext without it seeing me. This last time, I had my boy though and his knees don't bend so he sloshes through the woods and it get's to me but I don't want to leave him home when I can take him. I tell him about it all the time! You have knees that bend for a reason! Pick your damn feet up!

Lastly, you're obviously picking and choosing your shots as any good hunter should do but you may be choosing to cautious of shots.

Thank you. Can you explain the cautious part a lil more for me? When I aim for them, I'm trying to aim to kill it on the first shot and I believe I maybe wasting those precious seconds to get that shot and the it moves! <practice more!!!> I lost a squirrel trying to get it and although I hit it and it did the roll, it ran off on me and I never did find it!

I have time today, I'm going to go get my pop bottles gathered up here and go practice in the next 20 minutes. I'll let you know how I do. Thank you for your responses. I know it's my first year and am finding out that they are difficult to hunt! I love it though even if I don't get anything... just being in the woods has been a blessing that has far outweighed my unsuccessful squirrel hunting abilities thus far! Spending time in the woods is something I'd of never thought about doing before! It's addictive though.

I get to go on Monday for deer! EEEEP! Talk about being excited!