Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

ARGH! Those Pesky Squirrels!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default ARGH! Those Pesky Squirrels!

Went out today and saw a good bit of squirrels but my goodness, I couldn't get a good clean shot at them! They are so damn fast and swing from branch to branch like a bunch of monkeys!! I got played today!

I was using the scoped Marlin 22 LR and I'm just wondering if I need to go with a shot gun instead? I shot my first squirrel with a 20 gauge shot gun but that is my son's gun. I also shot and killed a squirrel with the 22 last week though but it was pretty close, on the side of a tree. I have a 16 gauge here and a friend of my hubby's just dropped off a 12 gauge pump.

I'm cool with the 16 gauge but wonder if a 12 gauge is too much for those lil rascals or is it all good?

If you guys had to choose, would you go with a scoped 22 or a shot gun? I need some help/tips killing these damn squirrels! I swear, they're laughing at me! <You guys probably are too>

I'm going to go back out on Thursday, very early... like wake up the woods early!
Old 11-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

how far was them squirrels??
Old 11-23-2009, 02:53 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

up to 75 yards or so... guesstimating.

I even stalked one as quietly as I could and still couldn't get the buggar!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed 29 squirrels last season with an old 870 12 gauge with low brass #6.Ive killed 9 this season with a stoeger 2000 12 gauge with high brass #6.I love a shotgun for shots under 35 yards,but where i hunt,the shots can be 60 yards,so i take the 17 HMR most of the time.I recommend u use #6 rather than #7 1/2,(with a 12 ga.)b/c u put so much shot in the meat,and it aint fun to chomp down on 1 of um!!!!!I like a full choke,but pattern with different choke/shell combination so u git the best pattern.Pattern at the longest range u plan to shoot,with me its 40 yards.good luck
Old 11-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ava
up to 75 yards or so... guesstimating.

I even stalked one as quietly as I could and still couldn't get the buggar!
MAN!!!!!!!U cant let um git no closer than that?Id have a hard time hittin um with my 17HMR at 75 yards.Anyway,if u see 1,just sit STILL AND QUIET!!!DONT MOVE IF U CAN HELP IT!!!Ive killed a few at 60+ yards just to be a ''Showoff''.Try 2 let um git as close as they will git,then BUST THEM BUSHYTAILZ!!!!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Whatdaya want me to do, sing to them?!

They are difficult to shoot but maybe it's just me since you slay dem squirrels so easily!

If I sit still, and I do, I see them in the distance and I try to sneak up on them. I stalked that one for 5 minutes til I got about 30 yards from his tree. Sometimes I get lucky and they're closer to me when I'm still and sometimes not.

I have tried to read up on everything I can to be successful at squirrel hunting. Maybe it's because this is my first year? I dunno... I'm not totally frustrated yet, it's just that every time I come home empty handed, I wanna go back out and giv'em hell again the next chance I get and it starts all over again.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ava
Whatdaya want me to do,sing to them?!

They are difficult to shoot but maybe it's just me since you slay dem squirrels so easily!

If I sit still, and I do, I see them in the distance and I try to sneak up on them. I stalked that one for 5 minutes til I got about 30 yards from his tree. Sometimes I get lucky and they're closer to me when I'm still and sometimes not.

I have tried to read up on everything I can to be successful at squirrel hunting. Maybe it's because this is my first year? I dunno... I'm not totally frustrated yet, it's just that every time I come home empty handed, I wanna go back out and giv'em hell again the next chance I get and it starts all over again.
Pepsi on the computer screen!!!Ok,if they r 75 yards away,git ur tail out thereb4 daylight,setup about 20 yards away from where u saw the squirrels,take the 12 gauge pump with #6,(full choke preferably)so when they come out,there U will be,wait til they git within about 30-35 yards,put the bead behind his shoulder and fill his @$$ full of #6!When he falls,look around to see if theres any more squirrels around u,after u shoot the other squirrels will go into the nest,or in holes in the trees,EASE over there and git the dead squirrel,sit down and shut up!!!if another1 comes out,(most of the time it takes up to an hour for them to git over the shotgun blast,then they continue feeding)again under 35 yards,BLAST HIM!!!!!!!!!!If more come out,etc,etc,etc,til u limit out.Hope this helps,Good luck.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

I was just putting a scope on my Marlin 22 tonight. I figure to to try and get a few myself. There's this one, I swear he was laughing at me during Archery Season, but I know where he lives!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

My brother told me one time that it's a lot easier with the shotgun. He said he decided to go with the Marlin 22 LR <he won it at a gun bash> for a challenge.

Well, it's hard! *smirk*
Old 11-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

be patient

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.