Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him... >

Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him...

Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

We all know you did the right thing, if it was a deer or some game animal that may be different, but a dog,,, it's the same as the coyote, he probeblly knew he would'nt get the ground hogs, but he gave chase anyway.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brushbustin, I'd gladly **** down your back if you were to call me a liar in person... Learn how to read. I didn't shoot the cat with a 17, I shot it with a .22-250. I can't explain why he didn't just go down, but he at least had the muster to cover some ground. Later on an uncle of mine said he had a similar experience shooting a tomcat at the farm, dead between the eyes and it didn't kill him. My fiance is a vet tech, she allows that feline have a cavity beneath their brain (similar to our sinus's, but longer) that supposedly helps with their coordination and balance. We're guessing I must have punched a hole through that.

In fact, I even mentioned that the 17 usually won't penetrate bone. On coyotes, even with head shots, I've sometimes found flattened slugs embedded in the outside of the skull. They obviously did the job, and the skulls are usually cracked, but sometimes they don't even penetrate the skull. I've noticed less of this with hollow points than with polymer tips. I'd be surprised to get an exit wound on an Ear to ear head shot, through the thinnest parts of the skull. But at any rate, I've rarely had a coyote argue with a shot to the noggin with the 17.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

you guys can argue with me cuz im sure im guna get sum argumentive feedback for this but the 17 HMR and the 22 mag etc. even my favorite rimfire the 17 Mach 2 is just too small for coyotes, foxes, bobcats, etc. its just not ethical. yes you might shooot sum and find them and thats great. but 9/10 times your guna lose tht dog. now i own a 22 mag. i love the thing for coons, g-hogs, prairie dogs, skunks, a possum and such and yes i have shot a fox with one. double lung great shot. but he ran a good 150 yards before falling. its just not ethical and havent done it since. thats just what i think. but now a 17 rem. is the cats-a** for varmints man i love it. and the 22 hornet...