Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him... >

Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot a yote 3 times with the 17 and didn't find him...

Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

He didn't take a "400 yard shot", his shots were at about 155 yards. Still too far to cleanly kill coyotes on a consistant basis!
Old 11-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Spike

I share your greif. I hunt state ran public ground. the restrictions are .22 rimfire or smaller. Its really rediculous how many are wounded. I learned real fast that the shotgun was the way to go out there. Therefore I have to weigh in on the .17 being too light loaded.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

Its just a dang yote,it'll die,just think of all the fawns, turkys,and rabbits you saved! But what bullet was you useing? The V-max is not a very good bullet for yotes or any other fragmenting type bullet in the 17hmr..I have been hunting yotes with the 17hmr for 2 years now and have been useing the Hornady 20gr XTP bullet and have killed yotes at 175 yds with a center chest hit..They do run and you have to trail them a bit,but the bullet really does get alot of penetration,it doesn't fragment,holds together real well..I'd recommend changing bullets and getting back after them..
Old 11-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I'd like to clear two things up that seem to have been missunderstood.
1. The shot what not from 400 yds, it was from somewhere between 165-155 yds away
2. Although it has become one of my favorites, part of the reason that I feel somewhat bad is because I knew I didn't have enough gun. I took the 17 with me that day because I was looking for crows and ground hogs, I did not expect the coyote otherwise I would not have taken that gun so I don't need any lectures on whether you think a larger caliber would have been better.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer using my .204, or if it's windy I'll use my .243

Let's make one thing clear however, a .17 HMR will kill a coyote !

Last edited by Sheridan; 11-18-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Head shots are crucial with .17 HMR, but hell, a dead coyote is a dead coyote!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by IndyHunter83
I'd like to clear two things up that seem to have been missunderstood.
1. The shot what not from 400 yds, it was from somewhere between 165-155 yds away
2. Although it has become one of my favorites, part of the reason that I feel somewhat bad is because I knew I didn't have enough gun. I took the 17 with me that day because I was looking for crows and ground hogs, I did not expect the coyote otherwise I would not have taken that gun so I don't need any lectures on whether you think a larger caliber would have been better.
oops, my apologies for mis-reading your post!...............We have a member in the Hog Hunting section from San Antonio,TX (Venado) that is killing Hogs on his ranch with a CZ .17HMR........If it can kill a Hog it can kill yotes...
Old 11-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, Don't feel bad that you didn't recover your quarry. It happens sometimes, we all have our share of flukes and unexplainable run aways. I shot a bobcat through the head with a .22-250 from 200yrds once and he ran over a mile. I was checking calves in college and spotted a good sized cat drinking from the creek, so I pulled out my rifle and took the shot. He dropped and flopped for a sec, so I let my jack russel terriers out of the truck (greatest fur-dogs I've ever hunted!). Before the dogs could run down to him, he was up and running. It took over a mile before they got him cornered up and took him down. I hit him between the eyes and it exited behind one ear, then lacerated his shoulder after it exited his head. I really can't explain why he made it that far. He hadn't left much of a blood trail after the first 100yrds or so, so if I didn't have the dogs, I'd have never found him.

That said, 150yrds for a .17hmr is pretty long, even for a head shot. I've used the 17 quite a bit for coyotes in the past, it's very effective for head shots to 150, maybe even 200 on good days (that lil bullet sure don't buck the wind!), but it's really marginal on penetration for body shots. Like others have mentioned, the poly tipped bullets pop like balloons when they hit bone, that's ok for hitting the brain box, but if you hit a rib or shoulder bone, that little bullet just shatters, you get a cracked shoulder or a broken rib (not immediately crippling), then a couple tiny little razor slices into the body. They don't bleed much and even if some of your frags reach the heart or lungs, it's a miracle if it downs them fast enough for you to recover them. I've had a few coyotes take one to the neck (missed head shot) then the rest of a mag (Ruger 10/17) to the torso before my jack russels could catch up to them. Skinning them out showed a bunch of scattered lead against the ribs, and a few that snuck in between to do the damage that brought them down.

So, in the end, don't feel bad about losing one, and don't feel bad about taking that shot. A 17HMR at 150yrds on a coyote is an ethical shot. Try tightening up your shots and only take head shots from now on. Even if the .17 splats against the brain box and doesn't penetrate the skull (I've seen plenty!), it still usually drops them in their tracks with head shots.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
First off, Don't feel bad that you didn't recover your quarry. It happens sometimes, we all have our share of flukes and unexplainable run aways. I shot a bobcat through the head with a .22-250 from 200yrds once and he ran over a mile. I was checking calves in college and spotted a good sized cat drinking from the creek, so I pulled out my rifle and took the shot. He dropped and flopped for a sec, so I let my jack russel terriers out of the truck (greatest fur-dogs I've ever hunted!). Before the dogs could run down to him, he was up and running. It took over a mile before they got him cornered up and took him down. I hit him between the eyes and it exited behind one ear, then lacerated his shoulder after it exited his head. I really can't explain why he made it that far. He hadn't left much of a blood trail after the first 100yrds or so, so if I didn't have the dogs, I'd have never found him.
That has got to be the biggest bunch of BS I have ever heard of! Head shot a bobcat with a 22-250 and it still living and then headshooting another with the 17hmr between the eyes and exiting behind the ear......You can't pee down my back and tell me its raining! No offense but I call it how I see it..LOL
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

The "head shot" is a dang little target, we are talking "brain" the size of a golf ball, and that's one that most on here would be hard pressed to hit from a bench rest 10 out of 10 times at 100 yards, let alone do it under field conditions any where past 75 yards! Add a little wind, a little heart rate jump from adreniline, and you've got missed or wounded coyotes!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.