Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

any body have any tips

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Spike

Location: long island new york i hunt in richmonville new york
Exclamation any body have any tips

anybody have any tips for hunting cyotes at night....any baiting tips
Old 11-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, you missed a great opportunity for it on Wednesday night this week! Big ol full moon and a warm night, man it was easy pickens that night!

I used to use red filtered spotlights a lot in college, but I've had a lot better results without them. Just use a good light collecting scope with a big lens and you should be fine.

It's usually pretty easy to call coyotes at night since they're more bold in the dark. Use blow calls, it's just too easy for coyotes to hear the distortion in an electronic call. Find a fairly dark, isolated position to shoot from, overlooking an open area where you would expect them to come out from. In Kansas, we have a lot of hay fields with rows of big round bales along the edges, I'll pile myself up either at the end of the row, or on top of a bale and try to make myself look like part of the profile. If you know they'll only come in from one direction, I'll pile up at the foot of a bale as cover.

A 12ga with buckshot is really effective at fairly close range, but I've used .410 slugs also for short ranges, or high powered rifles for longer shots.

It's pretty effective to bait with pretty much anything you can get a hold of, either go rabbit hunting during the day, or use store bought skunk glands, or roadkill deer carcass's, etc etc., but it's not usually hard to get them to come in without bait at night.