Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
Well, well... Look what we have here... >

Well, well... Look what we have here...

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Well, well... Look what we have here...

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ava
But if it were a poacher, why didn't they take the back straps of the other two?

Seeing that older deer's head has me wondering if it was a poacher though??? Don't poacher's go for meat too? Why, if it were a poacher, would they leave so much left? I could see if they skun them all up and left the carcasses but they're pretty much whole with no signs of being shot with a gun or arrow. I dunno. I didn't touch or inspect them closely.

Something is back there eating at them though. I took the 243 back today to take a look around and the big one has it's back eaten out now.

Poachers are nothing but low down thieves. Having total disregard for the law, the game animals and the negative impact they have on hunting is of no concern to them. Usually they are involved in other criminal activity and that's what gets them "took out" most of the time.

Contacting the Game Commission is and was the right thing to do. I would make sure you kept the name of the guy you talked too also, that way if you're around when someone else discovers a crime has been committed, you are not suspect #1.

I've seen this kind of stuff for over 30 years and each time anger gets the best of me. I will say the more people aware of what's going on in the community, the better the odds of these guys getting caught. Although the penalties is no where near stiff enough!!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Poachers arent always after the meat, they kill for different reasons and sometimes no reason at all other than to kill something.

Weve had guys here kill bucks and just cut the heads/antlers off and leave the rest lay.

Weve got guys that kill anything and take the meat.

And weve got guys here that kill em and just leave the whole deer to rot.A lot of the time, here anyway these guys arent hunters but pissed off farmers who dont like the deer eating thier crops or younger people just out killing something for the sake of killing it.

A few years back a couple of these farmers were popping deer with .22s after dark south of town and it was pretty sickening, bucks, does, fawns, all shot and let to run off lying in fields and fencelines all over the place.Everytime I went out it seemed I found a couple more rotting away somewhere.The DNR couldnt catch em but everyone knew who was doing it, unfortunately unless caught red handed they cant do much about it.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:32 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by petasux
The DNR couldnt catch em but everyone knew who was doing it, unfortunately unless caught red handed they cant do much about it.
It is indeed very frustrating!
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Spike

thats very wierd to have all them in should a close spot. I can't see a pack of coyotes taking down THREE deer all so close together. There would have to be 20 coyotes to take them down that fast that close together. By the look of the marks on the head, I'm almost convinced its poachers, Look at the angle the cut in the head is, V shape, typical cut from removing the rack. Don't wanna get close to the rack, leave lots of bone to keep the rack together. Likely cut a few steaks off and the rack and left em to rot. You ever see a tresspasser, give em hell and prosecute them to the full extend of the law, maybe they will learn a lesson.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, poachers all the way. That first pic that you call 2 fawns looks like a momma deer and 1 fawn. Look at the belly on the one, I would bet dollars to doughnuts she's still producing a little milk. The second pic is definitely a buck with the horns cut off. I'd say he was following momma when all three got picked off. Are there any fields nearby? Chance are they were shot from a distance and then brought in there to be concealed. Maybe they weren't finished getting what they wanted when they got chased off. Who know, maybe they heard the yotes and got the jitters and got out. That's when the yotes finished them off.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Spike

yep sorry to say but them deer were poached
Old 11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only have one word, POACHERS!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Worse then coyotes, and even wolves !!!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to hijack this thread but this is what yotes did to a deer of mine last year that had been left overnight. It was a big doe shot at just before dark in an open marsh/field. It only went about 50yds but we just could`nt find it in the dark. Came back at first light and found it in a matter of minutes. Might have been eight hours.

Ron
Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 AM
Spike

Look at the two pictures and compare. Seems to me it's a poacher. Must've been in the middle of cutting the back straps off all three but something must've spooked em and made em run. And yotes killing 3 deer within such a short parameter is not impossible, but unbelievable. Which yote in their right mind would leave so much dinner behind? Had to take quite a few of em to take down all three. At least one of the yotes would've been hungry enough to consume some of the deer (and not partically the backstraps).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.