Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

30.06 and shotgun coyote rounds?

Old 10-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks deernutz, I kind of figured the 30.06 would be a bit of overkill, as I'd like to tan a hide or 2 to hang in the cabin. Do you think a 3" BB would be big enough? I already have a box that I bought to use for geese, but haven't had any shots at geese yet this season. I'll most likely be set up in a tree stand, so hopefully that will give me some sort of an edge. I'd like to hunt them over gut piles, but the gut piles never last more than a couple nights w/ all the bears, wolves, and coyotes in the area, and we cant shoot coyotes during season. Anybody else try 3" BB on coyotes?

Last edited by Schobs; 10-26-2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want to clarify something real quick. Hevi shot has shells made just for yote hunting and cost more. You can find other T Shot that isn't game specific. You should be fine with BB.

Just some advice. You may have to move around several times calling before you get action. Limiting yourself just to a stand may not yield anything and you may get dicouraged. Stick to river bottoms, thickets, field edges. I suggest buying a video Calling All Coyotes, Vol. 1, 2. You will learn a bunch from them. Thats how I started.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

for the shot gun try the heavy shot coyote loads i hear they work good
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Fork Horn

if it is some sort of hevy shot bb it will work good enough for maybe 40 yards i would say. if it is steel bb i would keep the shots closer
Old 10-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

How about a 3" slug? I'm sure they'd tear the coyote up a bit more than maybe some BB or the rifle would, but it would probably double my effective range in relation to the BB.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Some of the local guys use solid points in .308s and 30-06s. If you hit the shoulder bone, it will probably still blow it apart. Otherwise a small hole in and small hole out....so they say....
Old 10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd bring both if I was making long stands.

Last edited by Sheridan; 10-29-2009 at 08:46 PM.