HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Woo HOOOO! I got my first squirrel! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/307498-woo-hoooo-i-got-my-first-squirrel.html)

Ava 10-21-2009 11:13 AM

Woo HOOOO! I got my first squirrel!

:D Yes I did! :D

I've been faithfully hunting two spots for the past week and damn it, I've never seen anything! :nonono2:

Today, on my way out, I said to myself, even if I don't see anything, I'll have fun being alone and out in the woods. So I got out of my car and went on the one side of the road in a wooded area and found my rock to sit on. I'd sit and sit and sit, just quietly listening and never seeing anything. So I headed out and walked on the other side of the road towards the river. Same thing but today was different.

I walked in. I'd take a few steps and stop, look and listen. Go a little further, stop, look and listen. I was about 15-20 yards from a small tree and I'm looking at it and see a tail. A TAIL! :D I'm thinking to myself, that's one of them there tree rats! He's :busted: ! I pull my 20 guage up on him. My heart is pounding and POW! I hit him but he didn't fall. I reloaded and hit'em again and he falls to the ground in his death roll but he's not dying. I waited for a few and said a prayer thanking God for this marvelous creature. After a minute, I reloaded, stepped back and gav'em another right in the head.

I don't know if I should have waited his death out but I didn't want to see him suffer and that is why I gave it to him again. Personally, I don't think I was wrong in doing so and didn't want to see him suffer.

On to the pic of my first kill! :rock:

He is a she. :D

I can't show you the other side cuz there is no other side! It's a good, clean pic, no goorey stuff here!

Well, I just wanted to share! Thanks to those who have put a lot of time and effort into this site so people like me can share their first kill, talk about it and learn more about hunting.

Oh and I was so excited afterward, the first person I called on my cell phone was my dad! I said, guess what?! He said what and I told him I killed my first squirrel! He started laughing and said I'd never forget that moment for as long as I live and I won't!

I've had a blessed day! :)

jrbsr 10-21-2009 12:32 PM

Congratulations, I still remember my first squirrel.

Ava 10-21-2009 02:22 PM

Thanks! Dad says he remembers his first too!

I couldn't wait to show my son the pics. He said you really got one and I said yeah and he said, figures you had to get one before me! :D

13pointjomc 10-21-2009 03:46 PM

Congrats man!!!!!!!!!That a nice squirrel!!Is he a fox squirrel,if so,you should have him mounted!!!!!!Out of 60+ i've killed,i ain't never killed a fox squirrel,i remember my 1st squirrel,3 yrs ago,killed him with a rws 22 cal pellet gun,my heart was poundin so hard,i could barely hold the crosshairs steady!!!!!Congrats again,you'll be hooked for life now!!!!!!!!

root1102 10-21-2009 04:16 PM

now you will be hooked! i shot my first a few weeks back and everyday since then iv been sitting out with my .22 ready!

Ava 10-21-2009 05:03 PM

I think it's a red squirrel. I could be wrong... I know it's a squirrel though! :D

I almost walked right past her too! She was real still on a small tree, not even moving when I saw her. I had to take a double look just to make sure I wasn't seeing things that weren't there because I hadn't seen a squirrel since I've been hunting in that spot.

ETA the tree I shot her out of.

She was about half way up. :fighting0007:

deerhunter518 10-21-2009 05:13 PM

sweet squirrel hunting is alway fun never gets old

Ava 10-21-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunter518 (Post 3480335)
sweet squirrel hunting is alway fun never gets old

Tell me about it! I'm going out with my brother tomorrow and then with my dad on Friday! :cool:

13pointjomc 10-21-2009 05:24 PM

Yeah them squirrels are tricky to kill!!!!I've killed 23 so far,season closes feb.28.opened oct 1.I killed 37 last season.

13pointjomc 10-22-2009 11:49 AM

Wish me luck,im goin squirrel huntin in bout 20 mins.What kind of 20 gauge did u shoot that squirrel with?