Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Gun - Camo? Yes or No

Old 10-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Spike

Default Coyote Gun - Camo? Yes or No

Guys
I wanted to purchase a .223 rifle last year for coyote hunting but it didn't happen. I am looking again and wanted to ask you experienced yote hunters if you thought a camo gun was an advantage or worth the extra money? Since I don't know how much I will get into yote hunting I am not going to spend a lot of money on a gun. I am actually considering the Stevens Model 200 in .223. This is available in a grey synthetic or camo stock. I am leaning toward the grey synthetic based on cost but thought I would ask you guys about the camo option. I know that for turkey hunting a camo gun is nice. I wasn't sure what a coyote see's (if they are color blind)?

Thanks Guys
Old 10-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

Good choice on the rifle. You can get the grey and camo it yourself to match your hunting terrain just take the gun apart and paint the barrel and stock and scope. Make sure not to paint the action and tape it up well as well as the scope lenses. I did this to my stevens 3 colors of spray paint did the job for me. Tan base coat with dark green and brown markings. Cut out a stensil on a peice of cardboard for the markings. It may not be invisible but for 5 bucks it can become darn close. Just match it to your hunting surroundings.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Eitherway...............nothing replaces remaining motionless.

I believe camo helps, but I only own a camo shotgun for up close work.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Spike

Go with camo!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You do know the Stevens Model 200 doesn't have a detachable magazine? That is the main reason I did not purchase one. For the same price, you can get a Remington 770, which comes with a boresighted bushnell 3x9x40 scope. I bought mine at Wal-Mart (which makes me feel bad). Another route, you could use this as an excuse to buy an AR-15. You can pick one up between $600 and $800, but that might be out of your range.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

do what u want if your doing stuff right u shouldnt need camo
Old 10-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots and LOTS of predators die every year by guys that don't have camo'ed guns. Camo looks cool, but it's not a deal breaker or a deal maker!
I know a guy that shoots a lot of predators every year with a PURPLE gun.
If ya liked camo guns, I got two camo'ed AR's, then by all means, get the camo'ed one. If not, more power to ya.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

More important than camo, or any color gun is to get rid of any shine, or sparkle, that can be a deal breaker.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the camo but like someone earlier said being still is very important.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

Just buy some no-mar tape and wrap your rifle in that if you are that concerned about camo. Just dont want your barrel to shine and like stated before, your movement is more crucial to your success than the camo or no camo on your rifle.