Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote snares and foothole traps

Old 09-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Spike

Default Coyote snares and foothole traps

I was just wondering if anyone could give some advice about snares for coyotes. I have used foothole traps before with mild success, but was told snares were easier. However i have had no luck. I put two at a deer lease in georgia and have had yotes run through them. These snares were made by me at home using a bent washer with hole. It seems the snares work on my hand but every time i go back the snare is pulled away from the fence, but no coyote. The hole under the fence is not large enough for hogs or deer, and wasn't sure if raccoons could do that or what. Anyway if everyone who traps could chime in on how to improve my snares, also foothole trap advice would be appreciated too.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Spike

look on trapping.net and there is a lot of snare info on there to suggest what you are doing wrong like pages and pages and pages..... in order to answer there needs to be more info?? any hair' how much, how big of holes 16 to 18 inches how high off the ground and so on...
Old 09-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Spike

Could not find much on trapping.net but i will tell u that the hole in the fence is about 12" in diameter and the snare is wired to the bottom of the horse fence and the snare is about 2" off the ground and every night the snare is moved and i reset it and the next morning it is moved away from the hole. As for hair there is none i can find. I was wondering if maybe raccoons are the culprit in moving the wire b/c there are a lot of coyotes in this area but probably about 10 times as many raccoons.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

It could be fox, coon, skunk, or something that is pushing the snare out without engaging the loop. When you say the snare is moved, is it completely free of the fence? Is the cable loop closed down? Is the cable drug out to the end or just a few inches from the fence? You may want to set more snares away from the fence itself in the trail.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Spike

i have never in the 20 years of hunting this property ever seen a skunk in this part of georgia, foxes maybe but i would think that it would have to be a varmit that is in high population to dislodge 3 snares every night. also the holes underneath the fence are too small for deer or hogs. this is a fence that is about 300 yards long and these are well established runs underneath the fence. i thought out of three snares i would have caught at least one coyote/fox the first night. i have only seen 1 coyote use the fence run and he was running too fast for a shot. also one of the snares was pulled tight and the grass was all pushed down inside the fence, the other 2 were just pulled away from the fence.

thanks for the help
Old 09-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Spike

My computer went dead last night as I was trying to tell you some more tips. Here is what I would do:
I would start by using a 10" to 12" snares even if your hole is bigger than that.
I would attach the snare from above with a small piece of wire in an (s) and hook the top of the snare on to the fence.
Hang the snare closer to the bottom than the top as most predetors drop there head when going under or through a fence hole or so on.

Other wise a foot hole trap my be needed in this I would set a dirt hole trap next to a tree near the hole where the dogs are crossing.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Spike

thanks guys for the help i will try all of those things and let u know how it goes....maybe i will have a few pics